Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC News...

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    This is going to require some pyrotechnics for testing.
    Actually my first high frame rate field tests with Epic X will be high speed action sports (kitesurfing, mountain biking, water housing surfing shots, etc), POV with a wide angle in a bi-plane doing aerobatics, fast moving wildlife, fast moving machinery in industry, and many more. My imagination is running wild with possibilities...

Over the years I've always shot a lot of high frame rate footage of the above mentioned types of subject matter - now I'll finally have my dream camera for that :)

Media Consultant, Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    http://www.artbeats.com/footage/search?fh44=1 (Artbeats Gibby RED Collection)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    Luis:

To be fair, and if I am not mistaken, (and I could be) cameras like the Canons that rely heavily on the ASIC are harder to update because there is limited code space and a limit to the changes you can make since most of the software is hardcoded into the asic. Presumably this will be somewhat true of future RED cameras as well, unlike the current REDONE which is based on an FPGA which is by definition FIELD PROGRAMMABLE so which allows you to program an entirely new software set.

That is the downside of using ASIC, the upside is you get faster bootup, lower power consumption, etc. but you also lose a lot of customizability.
    ASIC doesn't imply entirely hardware implemented software. An ASIC by definition is an Application Specific Integrated Circuit, that just means it was designed for a particular task. Most complex ASICs I have worked on contain all the I/O circuitry, RAM, FLASH, and processors (like ARM or PPC) built into the same chip. It's faster to have all the components on one die, but, most designers weigh the benefit of which code should be hard-coded into the silicon and which should be programmable. I am sure both Red and Canon utilize this to their advantage. You know the Epic is made up of a bunch of ASICs, but, they are constantly finding new power and features in it.

Canon has a history of releasing products and not adding features in the future. Features that others have had to hack into their products. I'm not saying they are wrong in this approach, because I went into buying their products knowing this. But, when a company like Red comes along and offers more for your money, they clearly are going to be game changers to the way other businesses operate.

But even beyond that, Red benefits from what they do as well since Jim himself is using the cameras! When was the last time anyone from Canon was on a board telling you "Wow, wait till you see this image I got on my #D camera" :) Different mindsets.
    Rick Burnett
    ASYLUM STUDIO PRODUCTIONS
    Future SCARLET S35 #_______

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Jeff wants EPIC right now! Please send me one, I don't care if it's "finished". :)

...or could I at least just buy a BOMB EVF, I really really actually do need a new EVF.
    Me too!!

What will it take to get me on the Tattoo program? I will even tattoo a RED logo on my forehead!

www.SolarSystemStudio.com/

EPIC DRAGON - SCARLET DRAGON - DJI Ronin - Proline Raven steadicam

Rick:

as I said, I wasn't sure about that. thanks for the clarification - makes sense and makes me feel like Epic delivery is probably closer than I thought, and also bodes well for getting new "cameras" through firmware updates well into the future.

I do think though, that Canon also has to consider how many changes when you are talking about trying to support a couple hundred thousand users with many different software versions, so 1) they probably need to be a little closer to a "finished" camera when they ship and 2) are a little more hesitant to make firmware changes and simply move new features to the new model and let volume pricing compensate.

For example, when I sell my T1i in a few months and buy the t2i I will probably only take a $200 to $300 hit so about $25 a month to own the camera and the upgrade is a physical swap sell/buy rather than a firmware update - and I get some of the new features like higher res sensor, etc.

I have done this routinely over the years with mass produced electronics like camcorders and computers.
    Save the Sharks
    Red #206/Epic-X Stage2 Now shipping Epic U/W housings - accepting orders - contact us. U/W housing for REDONE - for sale or rent. Check out our new Aero3D™ mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Its cool to open my mail and have this kind of news to dream of. I just wonder what crazy things you people are going to deliver a couple of years from now, said NAB 2012, just in time for filming the end of the world ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gibby View Post
    Over the years I've always shot a lot of high frame rate footage of the above mentioned types of subject matter - now I'll finally have my dream camera for that :)
    I'd say 1 out of every 3 of my jobs involves hi-speed and it's always such a heartbreak to tell the director or agency folk that we have to go down to 2k for it.

This is definitely where Red takes the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Roy View Post
    I'd say 1 out of every 3 of my jobs involves hi-speed and it's always such a heartbreak to tell the director or agency folk that we have to go down to 2k for it.

This is definitely where Red takes the lead.
    I can totally identify with your first sentence...and I completely agree with your last sentence.

A lot of professionals like you and me have been scratching our heads and looking for new tools that enable the very demanding (and in demand) shots we want/need to get. As artists its way frustrating to be limited by the tool choices we have available. We're about to get a new, highly capable tool in Epic X. I'll be way happy to put it to work and see what it can do...

Media Consultant, Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    http://www.artbeats.com/footage/search?fh44=1 (Artbeats Gibby RED Collection)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gibby View Post
    I can totally identify with your first sentence...and I completely agree with your last sentence.

A lot of professionals like you and me have been scratching our heads and looking for new tools that enable the very demanding (and in demand) shots we want/need to get. As artists its way frustrating to be limited by the tool choice we have available. We're about to get a new, highly capable tool in Epic X. I'll be way happy to put it to work and see what it can do...
    Well said Steve. I for one don't shoot underwater, but admit I am extremely excited to see how the M-X, and its stunning low-light performance, fly subsurface.
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mitchell View Post
    There is a reason for the huge difference in cost between the epic and scarlet. Performance and cost are not directly related, in fact cost is exponential. same reason a 2T drive costs like 4 times as much as a 1TB drive.
    Interesting comment, interesting timing. Just this morning in my email from Newegg,

72-HOUR SALE! Don't miss our featured HDDs-$94.99 Seagate 1.5TB, $134.99 2TB...

The 1 TB drive sale price was only $89. But as you said, performance and cost are not directly related.
    One camera is a shoot... two or more is a production...
    Chrysalis... shooting 2015
    L.C. (Elsie) N., dba nelloProductions, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    I have done this routinely over the years with mass produced electronics like camcorders and computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burnett View Post
    Red benefits from what they do as well since Jim himself is using the cameras! When was the last time anyone from Canon was on a board telling you "Wow, wait till you see this image I got on my #D camera" :) Different mindsets.
    Hi Michael and Rick,

This is exactly that I want to say with "we love RED's attitude", I say 5D, but I could have said Panasonic, JVC, Sony... All of my previous cameras.

As a consumer, I deeply respect RED's business politics. If they could do it, they do. I hope and wish that they will make a lot of money with it, and be in the cinema industry for a very very long time.

As a profesional, RED give me best choices and best pictures with less budget. I'm grateful for that.

What about RED matte box? Any news about it? May be in NAB?
    "An idea can transform the world and rewrite all the rules". Christopher Nolan's INCEPTION Trailer

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334107