Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC News...

Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
    I have to tell you that I am very happy with my R1 as it is and 12.5 DR is as good as 13.5 for my work.

But +2 DR and support for HDR shots on FF35 Monstro is something that I can’t miss

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    R1 with M has only 11.3, but M-X has shown 13.5, and with very low noise throughout the entire range, and an improve noise characteristic. So not only does M-X show more absolute range, it also have much more usable range.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 6k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    FLUT™, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms, REDRAY 4K delivery

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
    The difference in price between the Epix-X and Monstro FF35 is $5000, so instead of the $10,500 for the full upgrade from a Red ONE to the Stage 3 package perhaps RED will offer a program that includes all the accessories of Stage 3 but will include the Monsto FF35 for $15,500. That's the package I would strive for. I would have a year or so to make sure I have everything in order.

Sounds like the Stage 3 is coming up fairly quickly, I simply will not have the finances to make that upgrade in time. If I had a few extra months-- maybe.
    But if you get EPIC-X Stage 3 upgrade now than you can forget about sending used S35 brain and get FF35 brain for the difference of 5K, unless Jim is smokingup something all the time:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress View Post
    R1 with M has only 11.3, but M-X has shown 13.5, and with very low noise throughout the entire range, and an improve noise characteristic. So not only does M-X show more absolute range, it also have much more usable range.

Graeme

Thank you for correcting me, you are right.
    Do you know by any chance if FF35 will be 16 bit or 14 bit brain?

5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #165  
    I'm sure Jim knows the details there on Monstro. I'm not sure what the spec is.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 6k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    FLUT™, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms, REDRAY 4K delivery

Quote Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
    If we don't execute a RED ONE trade-in for EPIC-X this year, can we hang onto our RED ONE through the next development cycle, without executing our trade allowance, and trade it in for a future Monstro EPIC model?

Will RED ONEs also be eligible for Monstro upgrades in the future?
    Jim has obviously been very generous in rewarding the early adopters. How long do you really expect Red to be able to sustain this?

I think granting R1 owners a special route to move to Epic X is simply the fulfillment of a promise; the promise to deliver them the completed camera after it went "gold" to continue to borrow the software development terminology. The Epic X is the R1 in it's mature form, The Monstro is another animal. I wouldn't expect much more.

The difference in price between the Epix-X and Monstro FF35 is $5000, so instead of the $10,500 for the full upgrade from a Red ONE to the Stage 3 package perhaps RED will offer a program that includes all the accessories of Stage 3 but will include the Monsto FF35 for $15,500. That's the package I would strive for. I would have a year or so to make sure I have everything in order.

Sounds like the Stage 3 is coming up fairly quickly, I simply will not have the finances to make that upgrade in time. If I had a few extra months-- maybe.
    I think RED has been pretty clear that the accessories bonus package is only for epic-x. I doubt if they will change that as it really doesn't make sense. The bonus is really to follow through on the "Obsolescence Obsolete" promise by moving into the modular system and it helps them to be able to do it by getting the volume up and to get that cash flow as soon as possible.

But people need to be reasonable - RED can't let it drag out forever - and it doesn't make sense for us to be able to delay and delay (i.e. wait for monstro) AND STILL GET THE ACCESSORIES BONUS. It seems to me that it is certainly enough that you can upgrade and get the accessories and all the bonuses of frame rates, DR, ergonomics, etc. now and be able to upgrade the brain later on and sell they epic-x brain later to defray the cost.
    Save the Sharks
    Red #206/Epic-X Stage2 Now shipping Epic U/W housings - accepting orders - contact us. U/W housing for REDONE - for sale or rent. Check out our new Aero3D™ mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

But taking orders for EPIC-X and EPIC-X Monstro now would help to equalize backlog of orders.

Epic-x should be 15-bit as far as I remember.... Right?

i think this would be ideal too.
    Adam Clark
    Trick Digital
    www.trickdigital.com
    VFX/CREATIVE/INTERACTIVE