Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC News...

Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Although I am all for the Monsto sized sensor, I'm somewhat confused as to what sort of usable aspect ratio you can get from the Monstro for theatrical or television productions. I can certainly understand how Monstro sensor sized would be beneficial if you're shooting with anamorphic lenses but will traditional anamorphic lenses even cover a full-frame Monstro sensor? Otherwise, what sort of realistic aspect ratios can you work with? Once you crop the frame to a 16:9 or 1.85, what are you really gaining over the Epic-X?
    Last edited by Joe Taylor; 04-10-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    The Lonely Moan Inspired by the world of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.
    http://vimeo.com/33643688

Dead Lonesome A film about Ghost Towns and the Mystique of the Western Landscape filmed in 35mm. http://vimeo.com/6874360

American Cantos http://vimeo.com/8547635

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
    Although I am all for the Monsto sized sensor, I'm somewhat confused as to what sort of usable aspect ratio you can get from the Monstro for theatrical or television productions. I can certainly understand how Monstro sensor sized would be beneficial if you're shooting with anamorphic lenses but will traditional anamorphic lenses even cover a full-frame Monstro sensor? Otherwise, what sort of realistic aspect ratios can you work with? Once you crop the frame to a 16:9 or 1.85, what are you really gaining over the Epic-X?
    ONE to TWO stops MORE dynamic range!
    red is not a color, it's a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    A Monstro upgrade will be available for the RED ONE (future)... and yes, if you do Stage 2, you have used your one time trade-in opportunity.

Jim
    WOW! Great news (to me)

So the R1 will live forever! I love this! I thought he MX was as good as my R1 would ever get, LOVELY!

I will obvioulsy get the Epic, and with current specs I am aiming for the Scarlet monstro to go with my Epic and RED-MX.
    RED EPIC DRAGON, EPIC-M #646, EPIC-X #250, Scarlet-X P/L #2467 "Harbor", RED ONE #476 MX "MOTHER"
    Commercials | Live | Concerts | Corporate | RED rentals
    Red Pro Primes T1.8: 18,25,35,50,85,100 (all metric), red CF zoom 18-50 T3 (imperial), Red Pro Zoom 17-50mm T2.9 (m), Red zoom 50-150 T3 (m) + 300mm T2.8 (i)
    Leica Summilux-C series on order.
    www.groovyentertainment.com/english/

Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right. ~Henry Ford

wow if i can pack a monstro sensor in the R1 body, stage 2 gets really sexy thinking about the future.
    red is not a color, it's a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
    Monstro vs M-X are just designations for different sensor designs/tech, either could be made whatever size Red wanted (within reason). Monstro is already planned to appear in FF35, 6x4.5, and 6x17 formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Monstro vs M-X are just designations for different sensor designs/tech, either could be made whatever size Red wanted (within reason). Monstro is already planned to appear in FF35, 6x4.5, and 6x17 formats.
    Interesting thing is, Monstro has larger pixels then MX so I don't think you could fit 4.5k in a RED One. Maybe not even 4k. I'm sure someone will do the calculations on this hehe.

i believe jim was saying red - 1 can be traded for epic-x or Epic-monstro

but if you keep your r-1 and get epic-x the r-1 is executed and can not be traded for epic-monstro

but i dont believe they mean R-1 monstro

He Lee,

I talking about the FF35 Monstro sensor. Unless you're shooting anamorphic with lenses that will fit that FF35 sensor, I don't see where you would be able to use all that vertical resolution. I can and likely will appreciate the added horizontal real estate.
    The Lonely Moan Inspired by the world of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.
    http://vimeo.com/33643688

Dead Lonesome A film about Ghost Towns and the Mystique of the Western Landscape filmed in 35mm. http://vimeo.com/6874360

American Cantos http://vimeo.com/8547635

I'm just trying to make a more informed decision if I want to go ahead and get the Epic MX or get the MX for my R1 and wait to trade-in for the monstro. If it's too far away, then maybe I'll trade up for the Epic because I love the modular, lightweight design. I can finally put away my canon still camera and have everything in one package.

(By the way, is there an Epic Mysterium X FF35?)

I'm good with 13.5 stops and the low light as it is. But considering Jim's track record, I can imagine monstro is going to be MONSTRO in its abilities. R1, MX, and Epic continues to get better and better.

I'm thinking between the additional bits you get with EPIC X, along with possibly another 12 months to Monstro, Stage 2 is looking mighty fine right about now!

I would rather be shooting in a few months, and have saved on additional modules than wait.

To each their own but Epic is just that, EPIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ing View Post
    I'm just trying to make a more informed decision if I want to go ahead and get the Epic MX or get the MX for my R1 and wait to trade-in for the monstro. If it's too far away, then maybe I'll trade up for the Epic because I love the modular, lightweight design. I can finally put away my canon still camera and have everything in one package.

(By the way, is there an Epic Mysterium X FF35?)

I'm good with 13.5 stops and the low light as it is. But considering Jim's track record, I can imagine monstro is going to be MONSTRO in its abilities. R1, MX, and Epic continues to get better and better.