Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC News...

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    5K 16:9 is 96 fps.

5K 2:1 is 100 fps.

Jim
    Isn't 16:9 uses less sensor's area than 2:1 since Epic's sensor is 2:1? I remember the post with the Epic's resolutions and 16:9 was horizontally cropped from 2:1.
    So why is 5K 16:9 at 96fps?

5k 16x9 means it is using the entire width of the sensor so it is definitely more data then 2:1.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin O'Neill View Post
    5k 16x9 means it is using the entire width of the sensor so it is definitely more data then 2:1.
    I think you're mistaken: http://reduser.net/forum/showpost.ph...5&postcount=27

Banned
    Thats some awesome framerates..but..

Frame rates aren't nearly as important to my clients as DR, I've discussed the upgrade options with them many times, and ANY DR increase trumps framerates.

I hope I don't have to choose an upgrade "stage" without first more information on the Monstro specs., particularily how it would work with the proposed R1 upgrade path (ie, bigger photosites=more DR, but maybe less resolution, and ballpark cost)

The modular system is good, but not great in my eyes. To be great, Brains should be able to receive sensor upgrades like the R1 at least (ie, framerates change the same, but sensor improves). I appreciate that might make the upgrade process harder for Red.

At present upgrading an Epic-X -> Monstro would cost $33k (in the form of an FF epic), hopefully a R1 upgrade would be less.. I was hoping to skip MX actually..

Both sensors must surely exist already, based on the original Epic schedule, so hopefully we'll hear something sooner rather than later on this.

I'm not being negative.. I know everyone is pushing MX right now.. but thats just part of the information I need to make an informed upgrade decision

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Not possible... frame rates are determined by vertical lines only.

Jim
    Hmmm.. really?? I remember you said the same thing a while while back before R1 came out, and you outperformed your comment and gave us a lot more that were not possible.. I can't wait to see what more features you will jam into EPIC
    Nook Kim
    CEO, DIGITAL FACTORY, Seoul
    Digital Revolution Since 2009
    Color Correction/Digital Workflow/Red Camera Rental
    www.DigitalFactory.kr

6. #96 EPIC PDF 
    So.. looks like the final answer is 2K @ 225 FPS?

"Optional H.264 Recording module." Heyyyyyyyoooooohhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by ronx View Post
    Thats some awesome framerates..but..

Frame rates aren't nearly as important to my clients as DR, I've discussed the upgrade options with them many times, and ANY DR increase trumps framerates.

I hope I don't have to choose an upgrade "stage" without first more information on the Monstro specs., particularily how it would work with the proposed R1 upgrade path (ie, bigger photosites=more DR, but maybe less resolution, and ballpark cost)

The modular system is good, but not great in my eyes. To be great, Brains should be able to receive sensor upgrades like the R1 at least (ie, framerates change the same, but sensor improves). I appreciate that might make the upgrade process harder for Red.

At present upgrading an Epic-X -> Monstro would cost $33k (in the form of an FF epic), hopefully a R1 upgrade would be less.. I was hoping to skip MX actually..

Both sensors must surely exist already, based on the original Epic schedule, so hopefully we'll hear something sooner rather than later on this.

I'm not being negative.. I know everyone is pushing MX right now.. but thats just part of the information I need to make an informed upgrade decision
    i didn't think there was an R1 upgrade path to anything beyond epicx.
    Adam Clark
    Trick Digital
    www.trickdigital.com
    VFX/CREATIVE/INTERACTIVE

So on it looks like the Epic records 100FPS to a POSTAGE STAMP, what is that? And any news on pricing? ( http://epic.red.com/epic.html )
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
    Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

I agree, but as you point out it does sound like it would complicate things. RED seems to be all about a complex system of products, but you can't blame them for making some decisions based on what's best for their business. It might not even be a decision to make, it might be the only way they don't lose money for all we know. Already you get to save on your power, audio, and media modules for example. Making you save on the "engine" would be a great offering, but what are you gonna do... I am with you, and also in considering this whole situation a major positive within the context this camera is being released.

Really? I think the opposite. They wouldn't have released M-X if they already had better tech, though photosite size was already announced. However Jim said many times, if I remember correctly, that the technology going into the larger Mostro photosites will be different. It isn't just about size, but better technology from M > M-X > Mostro.

I hope you get your answer. I am amazed people are still holding out for Mostro though. I assummed everyone and their mother would upgrade, even if not renting the camera, I didn't think anyone would have the self control to wait.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com