Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC News...

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    120 fps at 5K is incredible. Considering 2.39 is the major feature film format, it sounds realistic. Will be interesting to know how fast 2K could go.

5K. That's about 11MP. At 120fps. That is about 1.3 gigapixels per second.

just. woa.

Is that roughly the metric for EPIC? The number of pixels per second? I heard one of you mention gigapixels per second in another thread.

If that were true... some quick math turns 2K 2:1 into about 630fps - though I expect it is more complex than that. Can the sensor handle that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    5K 2.37:1 is now 120 fps.

Jim
    That's awesome news. What bitrate?

Will we still want the Monstro?
    CINEPHOTOGRAPHER | DubaiFilm

INSTAGRAM | @JosephHutson

The answer is "No" 100% of the time you don't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Scheffers View Post
    Is that roughly the metric for EPIC? The number of pixels per second? I heard one of you mention gigapixels per second in another thread.

If that were true... some quick math turns 2K 2:1 into about 630fps - though I expect it is more complex than that. Can the sensor handle that?
    5ms being the read-reset speed of the sensor, I don't see how anything over 200fps is possible, at least not in full frame.
    Estimating that the smaller crop of the sensor means an approximate 4s or slightly below read-reset time for that section of the sensor, then 250fps should be the theoretical max at 2k.
    Unless of course I'm overlooking something important.
    Perhaps someone better informed could comment on this.

One of my only concerns/disappointments about the announced Scarlet specs was that framerates didn't increase at reduced resolutions to nearly the degree they did on Epic.

Hopefully this won't be the last time we hear about framerates being better than expected! :)

Banned
    SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    One of my only concerns/disappointments about the announced Scarlet specs was that framerates didn't increase at reduced resolutions to nearly the degree they did on Epic.

Hopefully this won't be the last time we hear about framerates being better than expected! :)
    There is a reason for the huge difference in cost between the epic and scarlet. Performance and cost are not directly related, in fact cost is exponential. same reason a 2T drive costs like 4 times as much as a 1TB drive.

The speed of the camera is dependent on the entire pipe line, fast sensor, fast processor, fast storage. to make a cheap afortable indie style camera some of that hardware needs to be downgraded, so you can't expect the same type of performance.

saying that, you get so much for such an incredible cost, i challenge you to find a camera that shoots 5K RAW (13.5 + latitude) with all the features that red offer for under $4000. and then if you can, I'd be happy to hear your gripes.

And indeed yes Red have done some amazing things for digital cinima, but they got to keep there teeth sharp, the dragons are now awake and playing catchup, and i'm glad, it only means more competition and better products coming out on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mitchell View Post
    The speed of the camera is dependent on the entire pipe line, fast sensor, fast processor, fast storage. to make a cheap afortable indie style camera some of that hardware needs to be downgraded, so you can't expect the same type of performance.
    I understand why Epic shoots 5K @ 120fps while Scarlet shoots 5K @ 30fps. I'm just saying I don't understand why that precludes Scarlet from shooting 4K a little faster than 5K, 3K a little faster than 4K, etc, like Epic does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mitchell View Post
    saying that, you get so much for such an incredible cost, i challenge you to find a camera that shoots 5K RAW (13.5 + latitude) with all the features that red offer for under $4000. and then if you can, I'd be happy to hear your gripes.
    I encourage you to post this the next time someone says "Red sucks, Jarred is an ass, down with Red, I love Arri, Alexa beats Epic."

But I think it's silly that someone says this any time someone posts even the tiniest dissatisfaction. Red is doing amazing things but they're not flawless, they're humans. Some of these suggestions/complaints/requests will help Red make their products better.

I'd argue 40 pages of posts saying only "Jim you're a God" every time there's an announcement hurts the forum way more than my extremely mild complaint (I even specifically said "only" complaint).