Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED FOCUS

Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I always find it fascinating when people bitch when we try to do something special for our customers.
    weird phenomenon...kicking back a few bucks to users who buy a company's high-end products, in this instance RPPs, is a somewhat standard practice - I really don't understand why this is even under discussion. buy it or don't, but there is really not much to complain about with the price point versus competitive products.

is there any update about the RED FOCUS release? I would really like to pick up one of these...it is not in the store yet, is it?

2 very different products , And you guys havn't even heard the most exciting thing about it yet :)
    Hey Jarred,

How about a PL to Canon adapter for this baby because my EPIC-X is going to have a Canon mount.

Thanks

Michael T.

This thread is wonderful.
    Everyone is contributing their super smart ideas, posts, reactions etc.
    But ....when...... is this RedFocus .... going to be available ...?
    David Namir
    Israel
    www.dnkarentals.com

+972-50-7753000
    gdv@actcom.co.il
    davidnamir@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T. View Post
    Hey Jarred,

How about a PL to Canon adapter for this baby because my EPIC-X is going to have a Canon mount.

Thanks

Michael T.

I wonder about this too. I plan on buying the Scarlet 2/3 and using my Canon L glass. There are other threads on this forum that seem to suggest my images will be as a result, and I quote, 'soft', due to the backfocus or the 35mm lenses not being made specifically for the 2/3 format, but will this Red Focus correct that issue? Are my Canon 35mm lenses going to be soft on the 2/3? That would defeat the whole purpose of me buying the Scarlet 2/3 for crisp 3k images, and I would be better off with the fixed lens... I am hoping that's not the case as I have nice Canon glass from long to wide angle. Anyone know?

warning: first-post alert- newbie here.
    Last edited by Matthew Lee; 04-22-2010 at 08:32 AM.

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    if you are using a 35mm lens on a 2/3rds sensor your images will look fine.. sure the microns are smaller of course so the resolution requirement is alot higher for glass with the Scarlet 2/3rds ( more pixels imaging in a small section of glass ) , but you are also using only the center of the lens on a 35mm lens which almost always is the sharpest, best section of a lens.

Since you explicitly state that you're a newbie, I'll take the risk of stating the obvious:

Your 35mm full frame lenses should produce nice pictures on a Scarlet, but the 2/3" sensor will result in a 'crop', meaning your wide angle lens will have a substantially smaller field of view than you're used to.
    Raamw3rk
    independent colourist and vfx artist

Jarred,
    When the Red Focus will be available?
    David Namir
    Israel
    www.dnkarentals.com

+972-50-7753000
    gdv@actcom.co.il
    davidnamir@gmail.com

if you are using a 35mm lens on a 2/3rds sensor your images will look fine.. sure the microns are smaller of course so the resolution requirement is alot higher for glass with the Scarlet 2/3rds ( more pixels imaging in a small section of glass ) , but you are also using only the center of the lens on a 35mm lens which almost always is the sharpest, best section of a lens.
    your comment makes me think that for narrative, a 2/3 cinema with tokina 11-16, 6mm & 8mm miniprimes a very attractive alternative to a fixed

but I will await your bundle pricing info. Hoping it comes in May!
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Thank you for the explanation, for those of us who were wondering about our 35mm lenses. That is really great to hear, as I certainly desire those crisp 3k images. I'll plan to stick with the decision to buy the 2/3rds Scarlet then and add the 2/3rds lenses as I am able.
    Last edited by Matthew Lee; 04-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.

the RED FOCUS has an internal target, needs no room, can be set in the dark on a camera truck, and is a bit less subjective.

... And you guys havn't even heard the most exciting thing about it yet :)
    Hey there Jarred

Please, it's time to spill. I've decided I need to have a collimator of my own asap, and just about to buy a competitor unless your exciting thing is really something uniquely "got-to-have"!!

Also, will there be interchangeable mounts to collimate RED's smart Canon and Nikon mounts - and importantly how much will they cost?

Regards
    Eric
    Director/Digital Camera Operator/2nd AC/DIT/Data Manager
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.