Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED STATION

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Jonathan Stevenson's Avatar
    The RED MAG 2.5 module is going to be pretty damn awesome, especially once the prices of SSD drives cool off. I still can't believe how expensive those stupid things are! But 2.5 spinning drives are reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lovett View Post
    ......What I want to know is it port multiplier aware or does each module require a discrete e-sata connection?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    ....But you know what would have been really cool... Is if the modules actually docked together via a connection similar to what's on the back of the new DSMC brains to completely eliminate the need for interconnecting cables altogether. Have dual FW800 ports, USB2 ports and a 4-channel SAS port (for up to 4 eSATA connections) on the base.....The power cable management on the back of the RED STATION is going to work out fine, but now we're going to have eSATA cables running to each module to deal with too. ....
    Yes, slightly disappointing if the base station distributes power only......some form of eSATA port multiplier functionality would turn what is a very nice package into a superb 'must have'. By the way, will there be a 1.8" SSD reader module too.....or will the 1.8's fit into the 2.5 with an adaptor?
    Last edited by G Lap; 04-07-2010 at 08:18 AM.
    Regards

George

Really hot product for us Red people.. but I see some very valuable comments like possibilities for eliminating cables (Jeff), going with USB 3.0 (Miltos), and I'd like to see hot-swappable (or even just dual) CF reader.

From what I remember, this product hasn't been as openly developed as other products. I'm not suggesting Red has to open up everything to the mass at the development stage, but I humbly hope that the Red's tradition where they talk to the users remains.

Of course, I believe it's just the first version of Red Station, and there will be more modules with better funtions coming out later on.

Back on topic: Since now I can go directly from the CF reader to the 2.5" module instead of going through a computer (although I still need a computer to control them), should I expect any performance advantage? It always seemed that the computer was the bottle-neck..

BTW, I've just ordered two Sonnet Pro Dual Express Adapter to backup my Lexar FW800's.. ten hours ago.. :-(
    Nook Kim
    CEO, DIGITAL FACTORY, Seoul
    Digital Revolution Since 2009
    Color Correction/Digital Workflow/Red Camera Rental
    www.DigitalFactory.kr

Yep ! USB 3 and 6gbs Esata would be great, it would give the modules the edge over all other offload systems. Still I love the design and simplicity. I like Jeffs connection idea while still making each unit a stand alone one.
    The option to power each unit via a laptop or external battery (adaptor) would help when shooting in remote locations.
    P.S. Just a suggestion, Why not offer a RED 2.5 SSD enclosure with these connections too, makes sense that that you can take the drive and just give it to your post house directly from set without having to go looking for external housings. Buy whatever SSD drive you like and snap it into the enclosure. Just a suggestion !

Quote Originally Posted by GLap View Post
    Yes, slightly disappointing if the base station distributes power only......some form of eSATA port multiplier functionality would turn what is a very nice package into a superb 'must have'. By the way, will there be a 1.8" SSD reader module too.....or will the 1.8's fit into the 2.5 with an adaptor?
    Port multipliers should not be a factor here. You connect an eSATA cable from your system to the back of the module. If you're multiplying a single port before the connections to the modules, it should work, as they should be recognized as standard storage devices. I guess we'll know as soon as one of us connects the 2.5" module and the CF module to a dual-port SATA ExpressCard.

A 1.8" module would be attractive at some point if fast 1.8" media ever surfaces. But there are adapter sleds in the PC world that let you mount a 1.8" device into a 2.5" form factor, should work just fine, it's really a matter of having the connectors aligned properly for when you slide the drive into the module.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

So will there be a Red One SSD drive carrier/caddy ?

Quote Originally Posted by tillHavis View Post
    Yep ! USB 3 and 6gbs Esata would be great, it would give the modules the edge over all other offload systems. Still I love the design and simplicity. I like Jeffs connection idea while still making each unit a stand alone one.
    The option to power each unit via a laptop or external battery (adaptor) would help when shooting in remote locations.
    P.S. Just a suggestion, Why not offer a RED 2.5 SSD enclosure with these connections too, makes sense that that you can take the drive and just give it to your post house directly from set without having to go looking for external housings. Buy whatever SSD drive you like and snap it into the enclosure. Just a suggestion !
    I'm sure we will see these in future models, although it might be more economical to include these suggestions sooner rather than later.
    As somebody who purchased one of the first HVX 200 and P2 store I now tend to wait for the second or third update of a device if I can.

While very cool, I don't see anyway that this helps when recording to the current Red Drives (which we almost exclusively do). Will there be a module that will allow multiple Red Drives to connect via FW800 and then connect via eSata/FW800/etc. to a laptop through a single connection?

This system may not have the current drives in mind, which is fine, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    2.5" RED MAG accepts bare 2.5" SSD and Spinning hard drives for offloading.
    So wait, does this suggest it's possible to stick a spinning 2.5" drive into a Red camera configuration? Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but if the SSD cards are standard 2.5" Sata, and we can offload to spinners in the Red Station, surely we could also stick spinners into the on-camera SSD port?

I realize spinning drives are not ideal, but possible?

Looks cool, but I'm not too sure what the advantage is of having this over a standard CF reader you would pick up from BestBuy.

The inclusion of e-SATA and the elimination of power cords is nice, but I've found that generally we have power running to our DMT anyway since most of their harddrives require external power, so generally we just set them up with a power bar.
    IATSE 873 Permitee (Electrics)
    DGC Guild Apprentice - Available for Daily AD or Union set PA work.
    Completed Toronto Film Orientation Course
    Mark.Collins.1990@gmail.com

http://aspectentertainment.ca/site/home