Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED STATION

Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414748495051525354 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    not a bad idea...
    Would look great in a big foot cart.

not a bad idea...
    I hope that means you guys are way ahead of me and already working on it.

Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    An idea comes to mind (forgive me if this has been suggested before):

Manufacture a rack mount version.
    Could be modular.

Or perhaps an "Epic version" (Station base + SSD's in a single space).

Every post house would want one. Add owners, DIT's, etc..

Jarred - would the FCC need to perform a new certification review if you used the same components?
    Great to see that this idea is grabbing some traction!
    Appreciate the endorsements and expanded ideas from others in the community.
    With enough demand, this makes sense in the product line.
    Jarred - could you provide some insight on my initial question?

(Above was post 492 dtd 10/16)

not a bad idea...
    Plus one for a rack unit, make it modular and I predict a hit. REDStationPRO Rack. Trying not to get too off topic, glad to hear the CF units are heading out the door.
    Clayton H.Haskell, ICG
    cinematographer IATSE Local 600

LA - NY - PARIS

Twitter | EPIC REEL | haskellfilms

Why would you need anything but a frame? Fit the different modules to it as desired. Only new items RED (or I guess someone else) would need to manufacture would be the frame and some longer cabling.
    Mitch Gross
    Director of Communications
    Convergent-Design

Giddy Up Cowboy. Got a boat load of CF RED STATIONs in today. Going through QC and should start shipping in the afternoon.
    YES!
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

SSD's? SSD modules" RED Station 1.8" module?

Just thought I'd ask. :)

Oh, and yeah, that 1u rack-mount topic came up a page or two back. Would be a handy way to organize them for some of us.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

I like the idea of separate stand alone units mounted to a single 1U frame. That way if one goes down it can be swapped out without loosing everything.
    _mike

"One for a meal, One for the reel, or One to learn something"

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Why would you need anything but a frame? Fit the different modules to it as desired. Only new items RED (or I guess someone else) would need to manufacture would be the frame and some longer cabling.
    Mitch,
    Have not seen the published dimensions yet, but am not sure how many modules would fit within the rack width. Maybe it would be perfect as is, maybe it could be designed more efficiently.
    From the photo, the base station appears to be taller than the other modules. Is is more than 1.75"?
    Would the extra height (over the CF and SSD modules) be required if the base station had the depth of a single rack to work within?

If the modules fit within a single rack, all of the power cables could be internal. No need to have the extra cables exposed where they would be susceptible to disconnection. If it was simply a frame, the cabling would still be exposed.

Speaking of power - the 5V power supply could be internal (behind the other modules) instead of taking face panel space. Frees up the front panel space for the next idea...

Then (downstream, I want the EPIC in hand first), expand the product line: RED Station Pro-rack. (Credit to C.H. Haskell for the name)
    This could be a deluxe model - adding cards and/or components into a backplane to eliminate the need for an external computer. For a DIT in the field, that could be extremely valuable - a smart RED Station that frees up a computer. Maybe incorporating the same control system being planned for REDRAY or addressable with a REDMote or iPad.

Just ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Prevette View Post
    I like the idea of separate stand alone units mounted to a single 1U frame. That way if one goes down it can be swapped out without loosing everything.
    Mike,

This string of ideas would not replace the current product being released - they can always be backup spares.
    Also, if designed as modular components, any "failed" module could be serviced by removing a couple of screws - unplug the bad & replace with the good.
    Everyone would stand less chance of field damage with the components protected in a rack frame versus kicking around unsecured. Especially with all the cables that could be hot unplugged.