Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED STATION

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Solowiej View Post
    So wait, does this suggest it's possible to stick a spinning 2.5" drive into a Red camera configuration? Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but if the SSD cards are standard 2.5" Sata, and we can offload to spinners in the Red Station, surely we could also stick spinners into the on-camera SSD port?

I realize spinning drives are not ideal, but possible?
    IIRC, isn't the camera SSD module 1.8"?
    Regards

George

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    ......A 1.8" module would be attractive at some point if fast 1.8" media ever surfaces. But there are adapter sleds in the PC world that let you mount a 1.8" device into a 2.5" form factor, should work just fine, it's really a matter of having the connectors aligned properly for when you slide the drive into the module.
    Just took a look back at the Oct/Nov announcements, 1.8" mags for the RED Station were mentioned at the time.....of course, 'everything is subject to change'.
    Last edited by G Lap; 04-07-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    Regards

George

Quote Originally Posted by GLap View Post
    Just took a look back at the Oct/Nov announcements, 1.8" mags were mentioned at the time.....of course, 'everything is subject to change'.
    Ah, right. Thanks.

Ok just to keep the thought alive, how about a 1.8" spinning drive?

REDuser Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Lequeux View Post
    Lovely price tags. If you hire a DIT without one (or two), you are in deep trouble.
    I completely disagree with this statement and find rampant fanboyism something that actually detracts from the success of Red's acceptance as a Hollywood standard.

Please explain how we've managed to go two+ years without one of these, and then all of a sudden you are in "Big Trouble" when you hire a DIT without one. I'd say you are in bigger trouble hiring a DIT with one of these card readers but no Idea how a Red Workflow actually works.

No offense, I like new toys too and am excited to see more new Red Products - but a Red Authorized Lemo to Esata interface box as a module here would be just as, if not more exciting to me.

I am confused, please somebody tolerate my question: is the RED Mag 2.5" a Hard Drive? And if so, what capacity are we talking about? 1Tb ? 1/2 Tb?

Quote Originally Posted by enrique blein View Post
    I am confused, please somebody tolerate my question: is the RED Mag 2.5" a Hard Drive? And if so, what capacity are we talking about? 1Tb ? 1/2 Tb?
    There is a Solid State Drive (SSD) coming, quite possibly to be shown at next Wednesday's Red Day as a new recording medium for Red. It will likely have a 1.8" format to fit the optional 1.8" SSD Module on the camera. Capacity has not yet been stated.

The Red Station has a 2.5" format module available to read/write to both these 1.8" SSDs (perhaps requiring an adapter, no word yet) and 2.5" spinning drives.

My question is whether we might be able to use 1.8" spinning drives in the same on-camera module.

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    There is a 1.8" REDMAG SSD card that will be released, that card will be used to record footage on camera via the 1.8" SSD Camera Module. The REDSTATION 1.8" Module to read that card will come out over the next few weeks.

The 2.5" REDMAG RED STATION module will accept normal 2.5" bare drives, so you can put a bare drive in ( Spinning or SSD ) and use it as an external hard drive, to offload cards to or for storage, etc.

can I copy from a CF card to two Red Mag drives simultaneously for backup?

Banned
    Jarred, will there be a Redmag slot to replace the CF slot on a Red One?

Quote Originally Posted by GLap View Post
    Just took a look back at the Oct/Nov announcements, 1.8" mags for the RED Station were mentioned at the time.....of course, 'everything is subject to change'.
    Yeah we saw "RED MAG 128GB" and I think they were said to be based on 1.8" media. Makes sense with 64GB CF cards coming. 128GB could fit in a little larger form factor -- a 1.8" SSD. EDIT> and Jarred just cleared that up. :)

For those wondering about 2.5" capacities; If the module takes standard 2.5" HDDs, then we should have lots of choices. Currently 2.5" HDDs are up to 1TB @ 5400rpm in a 12.5mm thick form or 750GB @ 5400rpm in the compact 9.5mm form. 2.5" SSDs are readily available at 256GB. Higher capacities are starting to enter the market.

Other than potential RED MAG media, I don't know of anyone making "performance" 1.8" storage devices.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.