Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED STATION

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Blaire, to add some perspective... I've spent probably $3,000 over the past 3 years on different card reading systems. I have half a dozen firewire readers, a dozen SATA readers [different brands, models, etc], 4 different SATA cards, 2 FireWire cards and 2 SAS cards. I have every ass-backwards cable you can imagine to get everything to talk to each other. I've gone into motherboards with SFF-8087 connectors, SATA L connectors, through expansion chassis, you name it. Different combinations require different versions of reader firmware, PCI card firmware, system firmware, Mac OS version, etcetera. It was an unbelievably frustrating process to get my SAS reader system to function in a bulletproof manner... and keeping it working as I'm forced to upgrade other elements of my system is a frustrating and significant undertaking. All just to move as much data as quickly and effortlessly as possible so that I can focus on the real tasks I should be spending my time with.

Having a RED manufactured and supported solution for current and future media is a huge deal.

Not only does it simplify things immensely, it creates a "right" answer to the question. It means that as more and more individuals and companies build their digital loader carts and DIT carts... one more variable just became a standard.

May seem like a weird question... but why use internal SATA data interface as a means to send power?
    Peace,
    Darren Orange
    CEO / Producer
    Chicago, IL
    Reactor 88 Studios
    W: www.r88s.com / www.bnwmovie.com / www.inspectresmovie.com
    E: reactor88@r88s.com
    Twitter
    www.twitter.com/Darren_Orange
    www.twitter.com/R88S

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Orange View Post
    May seem like a weird question... but why use internal SATA data interface as a means to send power?
    I would guess standard voltage ratings in a prefabbed/standard interface.

That connector isn't [read: doesn't appear to be and presumably is not] a 7-pin SATA data cable, it's a 6-pin SATA power connector. Note that the "L" is backwards from the traditional data cable... it's a smaller power connector designed for smaller drives [I can only remember seeing it on a slimline DVD drive, but that's just memory talking].

It's still a $500 card reader. It's also probably just as reliable as everything else Red has released, which means it'll probably crap out within the first month of heavy use.
    Last edited by Brook Willard; 04-07-2010 at 01:47 AM.

I want two! (half a four pack?)

finally a solid cf reader!! - not even thinking about future possibilities yet

thankyou
    Rick Youck
    FWY Production Services

Thread cleaned.

Blaire, I've read your posts and like and agree with many of the points you make. Find a way to make your posts without insulting me personally.
    Last edited by Brook Willard; 04-07-2010 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaire Johnson View Post
    It's still a $500 card reader. It's also probably just as reliable as everything else Red has released, which means it'll probably crap out within the first month of heavy use.

Looks great ... and no one said you have to buy the base module

Quote Originally Posted by Blaire Johnson View Post
    Technically it's only $250 as the reader works independently from base. I've already spent more than $200 on CF readers that have crapped out on me. The esata is certainly a welcomed addition.

Hopefully Red's has a warranty.

Just about every other card reader manufacturer's products have been crapping out recently (and this is from companies much larger than Red) - I think part of the reason they've brought out the Red Station is to deliver people from this situation. Time will tell if it's any more or less reliable (I'd give it a chance first!)
    David Wyatt

http://www.4klondon.com/

4K London for Epic-X & Mysterium-X Red camera rental, DIT services & post-production. Tel: +44 (0) 207 220 2857