Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC Dynamic Range...

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauri Kettunen View Post
    Just curiosity and to understand this precisely, should term "mathematically lossless" be understood literally implying the compression map is an identity? That is, when an image is compressed and decompressed the result is precisely the same image one started from at the first place.

The other possible interpretation is that the map is not an identity but the difference between the original and decompressed image is within some accuracy tolerance related to the hardware and consequently one may consider the difference is meaningless?

Whatever is the case all this is hairsplitting when it comes captured images. But, I love to understand what my (forthcoming) equipments really do.
    I recall them previously referring to Redcode as being "visually lossless", but mathematically lossy, so I'm pretty sure this "mathematically lossless" means the image is literally exactly the same, not just perceptually the same.

So with this onboard SSD, will you have to transfer it with firewire or USB out of the camera or will it be removable in some way?

Further down this same thought pattern, have you considered using both SSD and a CF module? When the camera is not filming you could have it offloading the SSD on the CF as an option. That way, for some situations like non-live events, you can keep the SSD relatively empty for long days.

Just a thought anyways :)
    Rick Burnett
    ASYLUM STUDIO PRODUCTIONS
    Future SCARLET S35 #_______

He said "onboard SSD module", which I take to mean another module that accepts a form of SSD media. Hey, you know, like those RED MAG 128GB thingies we've all seen in the renders. So I'm ASSuming, you record to those, pop them off/out of the camera and plug it into the correct module on your RED STATION and away you go.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    He said "onboard SSD module", which I take to mean another module that accepts a form of SSD media. Hey, you know, like those RED MAG 128GB thingies we've all seen in the renders. So I'm ASSuming, you record to those, pop them off/out of the camera and plug it into the correct module on your RED STATION and away you go.
    ...or, a internal memory that allows you to change the reel without loosing frames (like this big xdcam).

Anyway 2.5 to 1 it´s amazing but what file size, 50Mbs??. 13.5 Stops sounds like Graeme push the noise floor to saturn :-)

Congrats Team!
    "¿Render?... beer time!
    two Epic-X, 24"FSI 10bits, 50"Panny, Some computers; Work as Colorist, DIT and Tech Counselor.

and a B30 relase for NAB too pleeeease...
    "¿Render?... beer time!
    two Epic-X, 24"FSI 10bits, 50"Panny, Some computers; Work as Colorist, DIT and Tech Counselor.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Lequeux View Post
    OK... you guys can go ahead and discuss all of this compression math stuff, as soon as someone tells me the actual size of the file... please!!! xP
    If I'm not mistaken, it's about 190MB/s for 5K@24fps, assuming a 2:1 picture ratio.

So a 128GB SSD mag would last about 11 minutes...
    RED#487

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel Decarpentrie View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, it's about 190MB/s for 5K@24fps, assuming a 2:1 picture ratio.

So a 128GB SSD mag would last about 11 minutes...
    Thank you!!

So 190MB/s for uncompressed or already divided by 2.5?

And will there be the need for some sort of hardware acceleration for the decompression before feeding the Rocket? And if so, is that what Deanan and Brook were referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Deanan View Post
    Backend is REDstation
    Or were they just talking about off-loading the SSDs? There is other hardware that lets you plug in SSDs out there I am sure, so I am assuming they are talking about hardware acceleration for the decompression step... but I thought RedStation was just a very fancy (fast and reliable) CF-card module type tool... maybe it is WAY fancier than I imagined and it does a whole lot more than that?
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

I'm guessing Red's SSDs will be SSD based modules designed for repeated docking, not just bare SSDs. Hence the need for RedStation to download.
    Nick Shaw, London, UK
    editor/compositor/workflow consultant
    TA at REDucation UK

REDlogFilm™ to REDgamma™/REDgamma2™/REDgamma3™ LUTs for FCP, Resolve and Color available from www.antlerpost.com/plugins
    Now also REDgamma4™ for Resolve
    Other formats on request

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shaw View Post
    I'm guessing Red's SSDs will be SSD based modules designed for repeated docking, not just bare SSDs. Hence the need for RedStation to download.
    Oh, so like an SSD enclosed in a more durable casing with tougher contact surfaces... good point. This would make Deanan's comment a bit more likely to mean just for off-loading.

The question still stands. Will there be the need for hardware acceleration for the decompression step?

I am trying to figure out if shooting/posting a nice chunk of lossless sequences is within the reach of a project geared and budgeted for RedCode.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

I think if Red follow their current philosophy, it will be possible to decode in software only, but it will just be slow. So a Rocket will be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Lequeux View Post
    So 190MB/s for uncompressed or already divided by 2.5?
    My calculations for 5120x2560 12 bit RAW 24fps come to 450MB/s uncompressed, so 180MB/s compressed 2.5:1.
    Last edited by Nick Shaw; 04-01-2010 at 03:29 AM. Reason: maths correction
    Nick Shaw, London, UK
    editor/compositor/workflow consultant
    TA at REDucation UK

REDlogFilm™ to REDgamma™/REDgamma2™/REDgamma3™ LUTs for FCP, Resolve and Color available from www.antlerpost.com/plugins
    Now also REDgamma4™ for Resolve
    Other formats on request