Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Is 11 1/3rd stops enough...

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #21  
    REDCODE RAW doesn't effect higlight handling - it's as good as it is uncompressed.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Well considering that Red has twice the dynamic range of a digital slr and add to that the ability to manipulate the curves. I think that clipping is not a huge problem that is insurmountable for most scenes in overcast Ireland Ruairi!

Just err on the side of caution when lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fostvedt View Post
    Hey Ruairi,
    Was Catch 22 shot on film? If it was you could be inquiring about the "curve" of film. The ability of film to blend into exposure. Every film stock has its own curve or nature, and how fast the exposre will fall off into white. I think that 11 and 1/3rds is well into the curve of film.
    Catch 22 was shot in 1969/70 so I hope it was shot on film!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fostvedt View Post
    Hey Ruairi,
    Was Catch 22 shot on film? If it was you could be inquiring about the "curve" of film. The ability of film to blend into exposure. Every film stock has its own curve or nature, and how fast the exposre will fall off into white. I think that 11 and 1/3rds is well into the curve of film.
    High contrast film will fall off fast, low contrast will fall off slowly.
    If you are thinking of shooting a scene like this, my advice would be to put the light on a dimmer, and adjust the light to your needs, with 11 1/3rd stops you should have no problem finding the sweet spot.
    As far as a "softclip" function in RedCine, are you asking that the sensitivity of highlight clipping be increased?
    Here's a couple of grabs from the film

and a couple more

You can clearly see it doesn't oversaturate in the overexposed areas when the light is turned on.

This is a good thing.

I may be wrong but I still think that type of lighting scheme should be quite possible with RED. We need an official confirmation on this though, maybe on the next few tests?