Thread: Suggest Monitors for Grading...

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Grading Monitor 
    Hi,
    At your budget range I think HP dreamcolor with HP calibration tool kit is the best bet.
    We use it with Display port out from our Quadro5800 thru Scratch and have acheived good results.
    I hope it help.
    Thks
    (Check out creativecow for HP Dreamcolor preview)

I like my Flanders Scientific monitor but use a Panasonic plasma for black level since the blacks are impossible to get right on without throwing everything else off. Careful with off axis viewing too since a few degrees make a big difference. The built in scopes are great.
    I was very impressed with the TV Logic monitors too but they are pricey.
    Dan Boyd
    Engineer, Franciscan Studios
    Madonna University Livonia, Michigan
    www.madonna.edu
    www.youtube.com/wizardolivonia
    Red One #6362

Hi! :)
    Ive graded TV commercials on a 40" Samsung TV. Dvi-hdmi directly from Mac pro. So far it has looked good on TV, but is this overly risky and/or totaly wrong?
    Is the use of all the diferent I/O cards, adapters and expensive monitors primarily for cinema grades or do you think its necessary for web/TV grades too?

Mathias

4. #24 monitors 
    I use a DreamColor LP2480zx 12bit display thru displayport for the Scratch workspace and a Panasonic 2550 as client, and a regular $1k Panasonic 42" plasma for framing reference ( color/contrast looks better than expected )
    Leader 5750 instrument.

This works just fine for us

Gaston Fazio
    HD HOUSE - www.TheHdHouse.com
    info@thehdhouse.com 305-597-7359
    RED DSMC2 Hellium, Gemini & Monstro - ALEXA LF - ALEXA MINI - VARICAM 35 - SONY VENICE
    COOKE S4 & S7 - Arri UltraPrimes - Zeiss SUPREME & CZ Zooms
    COOKE Anamorphics (SF) 25mm, 32, 40, 50, 65 MACRO, 75, 100, 135 & 180mm
    Angenieux Optimo 28-340mm - Angenieux Optimo 19.5-94mm
    Angenieux Optimo STYLE 16-40mm - Angenieux Optimo STYLE 30-76mm
    Canon Cabrio XK 20-120mm - CANON 30-300mm
    3-Wall CYC Studio, Sound & Lighting

For any display, calibration is critically important.

There have been various posts on this, but I would suggest looking at our LightSpace CMS. One of the most effective colour management systems out there - even if I do say so my self.

Whether you go with LightSpace, or another CMS product, do make sure it's a professional system, and can generate 3D LUTs - unlike may of the consumer systems out there.
    Steve Shaw
    Light Illusion
    steve@lightillusion.com
    +44 (0)7765 400 908
    www.lightillusion.com

6. #26 Any updates ?? 
    Old thread ... but a very important discussion !!

HP Dreamcolor seems to be gone from the picture as it cannot be found anywhere.
    What are real color grading alternatives today?
    WhyOnSet Madrid
    Pre-POST, POST, DI & FILMOUT

the dell U2410 seems very interesting. I think coupled with a Matrox MX02le it should produce good results for less than 2k. !0 bit panel with the ability to be calibrated through the Matrox. Further more there is no need for converters as the Matrox outputs 10 bit over HDMI. Once they settle their thunderbolt support it should be very well worth considering. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    Hi! :)
    Ive graded TV commercials on a 40" Samsung TV. Dvi-hdmi directly from Mac pro. So far it has looked good on TV, but is this overly risky and/or totaly wrong?
    Is the use of all the diferent I/O cards, adapters and expensive monitors primarily for cinema grades or do you think its necessary for web/TV grades too?

Mathias
    Yes, that's wrong. You have no way of judging if your TV is set up correctly or is receiving the correct signal. The reason we use in/out cards is they have proper connectivity and deliver consistent calibrated colour using a wide variety of codecs. There are a number of workflows for cinema, but ultimately you will judge your grade on a cinema screen, not a TV monitor. For web, use a calibrated computer monitor - there are lots of cheap tools available to help calibrate computer monitors; Spyder3, Colormunki, Pantone etc.
    I make stuff.
    www.liamhall.net

I can't find any guarantee that the Dell panel is a 10 bit display - 8 bit is mentioned in a couple of places, with 'dithering' to enhance colour representation...

Colour processing is 12 bit but if the display is only 8 bit that's not a lot of help.

Also, graphics card calibration is NOT able to perform gamut control, as the VCGT is 1D LUT based only. For 'real' calibration you need 3D LUTs (see LightSpace CMS on the Light Illusion website for more info on this).

The only way to perform real calibration for professional applications is to use a monitor with 3D LUT capability built in, or an external LUT box - HDlink Pro, Pluto, Davio - with an external calibration system (LightSpace CMS) and a good probe - the new i1 Display Pro is great value, and very accurate...
    Steve Shaw
    Light Illusion
    steve@lightillusion.com
    +44 (0)7765 400 908
    www.lightillusion.com

Also any one see of know about these displays yet, apparently speced with advanced color controls for broadcast line up and has 3D support.

Panasonic Launches TH-65VX300U Professional Plasma Display
    New 3D-Ready Display is an Ideal Solution for Post-Production Editing and Home Theater