Thread: Manual Nikkor vs. AF Nikkor

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Manual Nikkor vs. AF Nikkor 
    I'm a Canon guy (thus I have 0 background in Nikon stuff) but sice I had a Red zoom reserved I realized I needed to buy Nikons until that ships.

I remember back on DVXUser Jim mentioned the biggest drawback of using still lenses is the small focus throw (or, how much of a barrel turn to go from the closest focus point out to infinity).

So recently I bought two good quality used manual AI Nikkor primes (50mm 1.4 and 135 3.5) and was amazed at what a long focus throw they had in comparison to AF primes! Wow! An AF prime has only a 1/4 max barrel turn, and trying to pull focus with that small or a radius would be so hard. But these manual lenses rotate almost a full 2/3, more than double the focus throw of an AF!

Dang, I had heard that manuals were better for general construction but in my mind, having more than double the focus throw makes a manual Nikkor vastly better for Red.
    "Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible." -MC Escher

I would (and do) only use manual Nikkors (in all applications, actually, but then I don't do sports stills or photo-journalism!) for motion picture work, unless I've got a very good reason - i..e the lens is simply not available in MF or the AF version has significant optical improvements (which is very rare in the case of Nikkors).

I'm the 100% opposite of you Shawn, a Nikon guy with no Canon knowledge to speak of - is the same not also true of Canon MF glass? I've heard there's some great stuff about there too, and I imagine the focus throws would be similarly longer...

Although I suppose you've got the problem of different mounts with Canon, don't you?

Should be mentioned though, throw on MF still lenses is still *way* smaller than on Cine glass, and is still an issue on long lenses at wide apertures. It's not an unmanageable problem though...

Manual Nikkors, especially later AI lenses are by far the best choice, excepting situations where either no manual equivelent exists (IE 17-35mm f2.8) of where the AF version is obviously a superior optical reformulation over it's MF predecessor (35mm f2). But for the majority of Nikkors this is true.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    http://www.YouTube.com/evingrant
    360 Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Evin, I was planning on buying a 7 prime set of all manual until I saw how much you recommend the 35mm f2 AF. How is it so much better? I just hate the idea of one of my lenses having only a 1/4 barrel turn focus throw.
    "Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible." -MC Escher

FWIW, I did a shoot this past weekend with Erik Rangel (another REDservation holder here) and we used my Nikon 17-35 in conjunction with a 35mm adapter on a JVC HDV camera... Crappy camera aside, the lens is great. It does breathe quite a bit, more so than I've seen from the smaller primes, but it's a great piece of glass. This will be one of my primary lenses (along with a 50mm f1.2 and an 85mm f1.4) until I get ahold of the RED zoom. ...And even then, I may pass on the RED zoom if it's not all it's cracked up to be or I run short on funds. The turn of the barrel is very slight the entire focus range only accounts for about half a turn of the focus ring. And while it clicks with a bit of resistance at either end, the ring continues to spin. It was difficult to focus at times -- we had tons of shots at odd angles, under tables, floors, hallways, chicks in leather with guns... But it worked good overall... Or maybe my standards are just too low. Heh.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

Shawn, go for the 35mm f1.4 if you want the best manual lens.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    http://www.YouTube.com/evingrant
    360 Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

chicks in leather with guns...

I'd say your standards are in line, man.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by pixelchef View Post
    chicks in leather with guns...

:)
    Who needs the leather?

Quote Originally Posted by pixelchef View Post
    ...Here's a partial frame (screen grab) - one of the girls pulling her underwear out of her butt crack between takes -- greenscreen too, I could have some real fun with this footage. :D
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

Evin, I sent you a PM about this on DVXuser (guess I should have sent it via RedUser). I have a line on a well cared for Nikkor AF 20-35mm 20-35 D f/2.8 zoom lens for $700 but I'll probably have to act fast. I believe this is the older version of the Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8 ED-IF AF-S Zoom that Evin likes so much. Since I've been hunting for a few months for the 17-35mm, seeing prices stay at around $1200, I am inclined to grab the 20-35mm version for $700. Should I?

Any advice appreciated!