Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Arri DR Test...

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    arri test info is interesting but, with all due respect, i think a 2/3 DR test would be much more so.

the lack of 2/3 test data makes me worry whether the results are significantly less impressive and thus not something RED wishes to emphasize at this time. if that were the case, i suppose it would be understandable from a marketing standpoint.

any chance of charts soon to put such speculation to rest?

Jim!
    I trust you guys in RED not just 'cause I got a RED ONE in 2008, but for your transparency, not only here in REDUSER.net, but because all you have said has become the right way to work with the camera you have built.

So I'm with you as long as you keep working in this way!

Thank you all for being this sincere!

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex lemon View Post
    arri test info is interesting but, with all due respect, i think a 2/3 DR test would be much more so.

the lack of 2/3 test data makes me worry whether the results are significantly less impressive and thus not something RED wishes to emphasize at this time. if that were the case, i suppose it would be understandable from a marketing standpoint.

any chance of charts soon to put such speculation to rest?
    I have made my comments on 2/3" Scarlet. It is up to you if you still are nervous or not.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    As many have pointed out before... DR is not the only criteria that should be used to judge the overall performance of a camera. We include price, convenience, service, resolution, color, post workflow, and reliability... among other things. But it is nice to know that the M-X sensor is right up there with the best of the newest.

Jim
    This very criteria items above described and off course amongst the "other things" CUSTOMER SERVICE" are behind the reasons that we "LOVE" RED.

i have no reason to be nervous, it will be what it will be. I look forward to seeing the hard data. i am an optimistic skeptic. i'll hope for the best while withholding judgement. cheers, Alex

I warn you all, if my MX RED has jetlag when it arrives next week, I will NOT let it rest for a second, it´s STRAIGHT to work!
    RED EPIC-X DRAGON #250, EPIC-M #646, EPIC-X #7139, Scarlet Dragon-X #4919, RED ONE #476 MX "MOTHER"
    Commercials | Live | Concerts | Corporate | RED rentals
    Red Pro Primes T1.8: 18,25,35,50,85,100 (all metric), red CF zoom 18-50 T3 (imperial), Red Pro Zoom 17-50mm T2.9 (m), Red zoom 50-150 T3 (m) + 300mm T2.8 (i)
    Leica Summilux-C series on order.
    www.groovyentertainment.com/english/

Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right. ~Henry Ford

Wow. I know this is Apples to Orangutans but the Stouffers back in October only showed 12 stops.
    http://reduser.net/forum/showpost.ph...30&postcount=1

Is this an extra stop and a half you've found in calibration since October or is this test just a little more generous in awarding DnR? In other words how does Mysterium do by comparison on the same test?

13.5 is Monstro territory. Which is to say crazy good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    Wow. I know this is Apples to Orangutans but the Stouffers back in October only showed 12 stops.

Is this an extra stop and a half you've found in calibration since October or is this test just a little more generous in awarding DnR? In other words how does Mysterium do by comparison on the same test?

I'm sure quite a bit has changed/been fixed/upgraded and for the most part bettered in the last six months.
    Anthony Rinaldi

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post

This is a really good question. We have found more since the very 1st time we turned it on... which is why we don't show as much early stuff as we used to. A lot was done from October to January... then a big calibration improvement.

In addition... every test is different and yields slightly to largely different results. This is a bit maddening since everyone tends to reply on "the numbers".

My best recommendation is to test cameras and see which ones satisfy your checklist better than the others. In side by side testing, does 1/3 stop of DR really make more difference than 5X the resolution? Or cost? Or convenience? Or make up for the difference in a difficult post workflow?

Take all the numbers, your tests, your gut feel and your wallet and make a decision. Some will rent film cameras... some will buy RED. Some will prefer other options. That is the good news... you have lots of good options now.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Nice! Any 13+ stop camera is no slouch. My tests came in at around 13.3, but that was several versions of the firmware ago in a less-than-perfect testing environment... only working in 1/3 stop increments as well. Inaccurate to say the least.

Can't wait to see the final results... even though they'll be "final" results of a "beta" back-end that's only going to improve.

I hope that people remember that when the final results are coming, a few tenths of a stop in one direction or another doesn't make a huge difference from camera system to camera system. There are so many other variables that make one system more or less desirable than another for a certain job... many of which go well beyond image quality and end on general practical usability.