Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Apple Color REDCODE plugin 4.0 beta

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Apple Color REDCODE plugin 4.0 beta 
    http://red.cachefly.net/redcinex/RED...4_0_beta_2.zip

Added support for the new Mysterium-X sensor (plugin supports older footage just fine too!)

Added support for the new FLUT™™™ color science. This plugin will only do the new color science. If you need to use old color science with an existing project you should not upgrade to this version of the plugin or restore an older version when you switch back to an old project.

Added support for the new REDgamma gamma space and REDcolor color space

Added support for 4.5K footage. Clips recorded at 4.5K (4480 x 1920) will load as if they were shot with a resolution of 2240 x 960 due to Apple Color being limited to 4K maximum resolution. Half resolution decodes for 4.5K footage will not go through any debayer.

ISO list does not go beyond ISO 2000. Any clips shot at a higher ISO will be clamped to ISO 2000

Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) is no longer supported with this release

** updated QuickTime codec should be out soon as well **

** PLEASE POST FEEDBACK IN THIS THREAD ONLY! **

edit: uploaded beta 2 that should fix send to Color bug
    Last edited by Rob Lohman; 02-18-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    ROBCODE Santa Claus @ RED

"You get the chicken by waiting for the egg to hatch, not by smashing it with a hammer" - Jarred

Looking for clarification... is this supposed to work with non-MX sensor footage so long as it is late build footage (20+) that has color science?
    Brandon Kraemer
    www.brandonkraemer.com

Thank you! When will we see a fully stable release?
    Michael "Strawberry" Romano
    ICG Local 600 DIT | Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mobile: 239-218-4452
    michael@strawberrycolor.com
    http://www.strawberrycolor.com/
    http://www.sightandsoundhawaii.com/

**PLEASE USE MY EMAIL, NOT PM's IF YOU NEED TO TALK TO ME**

Awesome Rob. Can you also please clarify a nagging question, at least with this new version- when working with 4k or less, is the decode full res? Is it always full res or is there a way to adjust?

We will have MX sensor very soon to test for ya.
    Paul Lee

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Kraemer View Post
    Looking for clarification... is this supposed to work with non-MX sensor footage so long as it is late build footage (20+) that has color science?
    It will work with ALL footage. It's just that it will apply the latest and greatest (FLUT™) color science to it which will make everything look better (but different from any previous plugin versions).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Romano View Post
    Thank you! When will we see a fully stable release?
    When you guys don't report issues with it and the other parts of the Final Cut Studio installer are done (like the QuickTime codec)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lee View Post
    Awesome Rob. Can you also please clarify a nagging question, at least with this new version- when working with 4k or less, is the decode full res? Is it always full res or is there a way to adjust?
    For full res it's always doing debayer, and I *think* it's doing that too for half resolution (with the exception of 4.5K footage). I haven't had a change to verify that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lee View Post
    We will have MX sensor very soon to test for ya.
    As noted above this is not limited to MX footage!

"You get the chicken by waiting for the egg to hatch, not by smashing it with a hammer" - Jarred

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lohman View Post
    It will work with ALL footage. It's just that it will apply the latest and greatest (FLUT™™™™) color science to it which will make everything look better (but different from any previous plugin versions).
    I seem to be having an issue with it then... I installed it and send clips to color but the RED tab is not enabling when I am on the clips. I re-installed the version that comes with the FCP Studio 3 installer, the RED tab works again.

bk

**EDIT: my clips are from build 17, 20 and 21.

OSX 10.6.2, Color V 1.5.1
    Last edited by Brandon Kraemer; 02-18-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added system info... added clip info
    Brandon Kraemer
    www.brandonkraemer.com

OK, what am I doing wrong....? It's installed correctly as far as I can tell. It shows version 4.0 beta when there under the RED tab. Yet none of the controls on the RED tab are enabled and I can't check to enable them. So far I have just loaded some older clips - shot with build 18. Clips were shot in 3K for some overcranking. I'll check a few 4K clips now and see what's up.

Oh, wait. I see Brandon is reporting the same issue...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Keying in secondaries still behaves unexpectedly. It seems the keyer works from the footage without the red tab metadata processing applied, meaning you are trying to key from very low contrast footage with little colour separation and saturation.

It makes sense going back to source footage for keys but shouldn't the RED tab metadata be treated as part of the footage, rather than treated as if it were a grade.

This problem means that for projects that need key based qualification the red -> colour workflow is not a viable option

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Brandon: are you sending it from FCP using QT reference files? It's possible I borked something in the build

Jeff: are you doing a similar thing or are you loading R3D's straight into Color?

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stonehouse View Post
    Keying in secondaries still behaves unexpectedly. It seems the keyer works from the footage without the red tab metadata processing applied, meaning you are trying to key from very low contrast footage with little colour separation and saturation.

It makes sense going back to source footage for keys but shouldn't the RED tab metadata be treated as part of the footage, rather than treated as if it were a grade.

This problem means that for projects that need key based qualification the red -> colour workflow is not a viable option
    Daniel: you'll have to contact Apple on that one I'm afraid. We just hand off the image to Color.