Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 16GB Card Issue

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 16GB Card Issue 
    Dear RED,

I'm currently DITing a commercial using strictly 16GB CF cards. The camera and the CF cards are owned by the production company.

One of the cards, which I'm told was purchased within the last few months, records perfectly fine in the camera, but intermittently fails to transfer the data to my computer.

I have attempted three different readers; two Lexar pro FW800 readers, and one Lexar low-end USB reader. Ironically, it works every time in the low end reader, but it takes longer than forever to transfer. Meanwhile, in the pro Lexar FW800 readers, performance is intermittent, and slower than usual when it does work.

Please advise as to what I should do with the misbehaving card; either to repair or exchange it. Thanks very much for your assistance!

- Jordan
    Jordan Livingston

Leading a double life...

IATSE Local 600 ICG DIT
    www.DIGILOID.com

Independent Filmmaker
    www.JLPMOVIES.com

Did you try using both firewire 800 ports on the Lexar reader? You may have a dead one.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeburton View Post
    Did you try using both firewire 800 ports on the Lexar reader? You may have a dead one.
    I did. And I also tried different FW800 cables. No difference. Also, the readers and cables work perfectly with our other x6 16GB CF cards. Only one of them seems to have a problem.

- Jordan
    Jordan Livingston

Leading a double life...

IATSE Local 600 ICG DIT
    www.DIGILOID.com

Independent Filmmaker
    www.JLPMOVIES.com

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #4  
    Jordan, did you file a support ticket on RED.com? That is the quickest way to get support directly from RED (as opposed to REDUSER).

Also, this thread should be under http://www.reduser.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27 to get more targeted help from REDUSERS.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Jordan, did you file a support ticket on RED.com? That is the quickest way to get support directly from RED (as opposed to REDUSER).

Also, this thread should be under http://www.reduser.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27 to get more targeted help from REDUSERS.

BC
    Thanks for the helpful info, Brent. Sorry about posting in the wrong spot. This is actually my first experience with ANY malfunctioning RED hardware, so I didn't know exactly what to do. I'll go ahead and file the support ticket now. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated! :-)

- Jordan
    Jordan Livingston

Leading a double life...

IATSE Local 600 ICG DIT
    www.DIGILOID.com

Independent Filmmaker
    www.JLPMOVIES.com

In this case its probably the card that isn't working properly, but..

you should definitely have more than one brand of card reader.

I keep a Sandisk Firewire 800 and a Lexar Firewire 800 reader. (And some sort of el-cheapo USB2 multi-format reader)

I like the Sandisk better, but neither are perfect. I've had cards from both RED and the 7D not read in one, but read in the other.

Usually, after I get my data off, formatting the media on a computer, then formatting it again in the camera makes it right. Worth a try at any rate.
    Alexander Ibrahim
    Director & DP
    editing/color correction/compositing/effects
    http://www.alexanderibrahim.net
    http://www.zenera.com