Thread: RED 4K Title Availability and Expense

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RED 4K Title Availability and Expense 
    In addition to DSMC cameras, I'm getting even more hyped about RED 4K or RED RAY or whatever its called now!

I am somewhat worried at the cost of titles for home consumers. We commonfolk have never been able to purchase films or shows at this quality, and I would hope that distribution companies will have home viewing licensed titles at reasonable prices. (Perhaps somewhere around current BD costs?)

I'm really hoping we'll see TV shows released on RED 4K. I know we'll have movies, but don't forget about those of us who want to see TV shows taken to the next level! Southland looks awesome in just plain-old HD, and I'm a big fan of Leverage, which I unfortunately don't get in HD. I'd buy both RED 4K sets on the first day they're available!
    Anthony Rinaldi

4K movies / TV shows / etc. would be awesome and I'm really looking forward to it, but there are two setbacks right now. Blu-Ray disks only hold 50GB, and they're only supposed to be releasing a 100GB disk (which is the least we would need, really) late this year. And the second, much larger setback is that nobody makes a 4K TV or projector at a reasonable price - unless you call $75,000 reasonable. They probably won't be coming out for at least 2 years, but when they do they're gonna be insane...
    Founder and Owner of OverDrive Media action sports cinematography and photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix van Oost View Post
    4K movies / TV shows / etc. would be awesome and I'm really looking forward to it, but there are two setbacks right now. Blu-Ray disks only hold 50GB, and they're only supposed to be releasing a 100GB disk (which is the least we would need, really) late this year. And the second, much larger setback is that nobody makes a 4K TV or projector at a reasonable price - unless you call $75,000 reasonable. They probably won't be coming out for at least 2 years, but when they do they're gonna be insane...
    The Red4K distribution bitrate doesn't require anywhere near BluRay bitrates or file sizes for 4K.

And as of the lastest news, Red4k will no longer be an optical format. Flash media, hard drives, and streaming (I suspect) only.

-sc

Yes, I believe the 'current' bitrate has been upped from 10 to 15 Mbit/s recently, which would roughly equate to 10GB for a common 90 minute feature in whopping 4K resolution! Truly amazing.
    It was very funny when RED showed their reel at the IBC big screen this year and Jim had to check whether we'd just been watching the RED RAY or the 'uncompressed' version. Just unbelievable how they can cram that resolution in such a tiny file. Looking forward to it too!

Really wish the RED Ray to RED 4k name change hadn't happened. Suppose it has something to do with rights. Would have much preferred something like RED Force 4K.

Edit: Just read post number 3 above saying "And as of the lastest news, Red4k will no longer be an optical format. Flash media, hard drives, and streaming (I suspect) only."

If in fact is no longer going to be an optical format, then simply calling it RED 4K makes sense.
    Last edited by Elsie N; 02-22-2010 at 07:46 AM.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith