Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Student Short - Shot on Red

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Student Short - Shot on Red - Now with video! 
    Senior Member Christopher Grant Harvey's Avatar
    Hi there,

UPDATE: You can finally view the film in it's entirety online at IMDB here:

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi4271310105

Any feedback would be welcome.
    Thanks

A spin-off project is being developed into a feature film next year, so I will post more information on that as it happens. It is going to be shot on the Red One.

I have set up a Facebook page if anyone wants to see pictures and some videos.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=76077395214

I think this is the first (but not last) student film shot on Red in South Africa I have heard of, and it went very well. Thanks to the cast and crew!!

I am EXTREMELY grateful to the owner of the camera, he trusted me enough to let me use it for a weekend and promised to put me in a wheelchair if I messed it up. Glad to say I am not in a wheelchair...

I luckily had spent most of the year helping out with the camera and provided some post production assistance so by the time we shot I knew the camera and workflow very well. I planned well in advance and that paid off.

Please drop by the page and leave some feedback since this is student work.

Thanks

A note about the film, I only had enough money to shoot for 2 and 1/4 days so things had to move quickly, but as a newbie I learnt a lot and this experience has allowed me to mature as a writer/director. I co-wrote, co-produced, executive produced, directed, and will be editing this film.

After about 3 hours I completely forgot we were shooting on the RED and I focused more on the elements in front of the lens.

Our lens package was a set of Zeiss Super Speeds, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, I added a 135mm and a 12mm to the mix as well. We used the Red 18-50mm zoom too.

Basic light package, reflectors, a 4ft Kino Flo, 2 x 2.5 HMI's and 2 x 1.2 HMI's, and good sound gear; Sennheiser 416 & 816 and a mixer.

VIDEO DUDE.. we want to see a video.

Banned
    (Oh, I co-wrote, co-produced, executive produced, directed, and will be editing this film.)
    since he will be editing, that would mean he has not made a cut as of yet.

if you want feedback, don't go too cold or too warm on the colors, and ease on the sharpness, it might be a low jpg compression,but allot of the extra not needed detail result in artifact-ed stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by amrrahmy View Post
    since he will be editing, that would mean he has not made a cut as of yet.

if you want feedback, don't go too cold or too warm on the colors, and ease on the sharpness, it might be a low jpg compression,but allot of the extra not needed detail result in artifact-ed stuff.
    Thanks, there is a cut, but it is very rough and I would prefer to not show anything at all until I can show something proper...

NO sharpnening applied whatsoever. Those are 4:2:2 1024 x 512 CineForm Avi's. The pictures appear overly sharp because of the roundabout way in which I created JPEG's.

As for the grade, I'll take suggestions as I'm still playing around. Thanks

hi i loved your footages but can you upload some videos?

Regards

I also do not want to upload anything without music, still drawing up the necessary contracts before posting audio/visual content that I do not own properly...

I hate legal issues.

Lovely light! Really like the restrained brownish pallette...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bennett View Post
    Lovely light! Really like the restrained brownish pallette...
    Thanks, those are just the first pass I made at some grading... which might not change much.

I might lessen the strength of the colour tints in all these shots.

Hello Christopher!
    I'm giving a first look to Red stuff, and I have some very very ignorant questions I'd like to ask, seeing that you've already worked seriously with this camera.

Did you find any kind of trouble with the camera during the shooting? Any technical issue you hadn't previously noticed?
    How long does it take to backup the raw material from the hard disk to a laptop? Does it take for any reason to have a very good laptop at hand?

>Zeiss Super Speeds, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, I added a 135mm
    >and a 12mm. We used the Red 18-55mm zoom too.

The thing is I have to find some information here for a friend who doesn't speak english, and I don't know much about this technical things like lenses and stuff. So please be patient If I ask ridiculous questions.
    I'm wondering: what kind of mount did you use? I've heard there are some PL and L lenses? Do you think it's possible to work with some L lenses with decent results?

Well... that's for now, but I'm sure more will come up later.
    Thanks for your time, and congratulations, at least the images you showed in the thread look great.

Regards,

martín.