Thread: Music Video scene in Toronto???

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Music Video scene in Toronto??? 
    Senior Member D'Arcy Foley-Dawson's Avatar
    Hey guys,

A little bit of a strange request, but I can usually rely on the REDUser forum for helpful people:

I'm Australian and have been producing music videos for a few years now in Melbourne. But I'm getting itchy feet and am seriously considering relocating to Toronto. From what I understand there is a very strong independent music scene there and, coupled with the fact that it is a centre for film/television production (along with Vancouver, right?) I think it may be an ideal place for me to move to.

EDIT: I will be coming to Toronto Sunday 7th to Sunday 14th February and was wondering if anyone is willing to meet me for a coffee and a chat??. I just want to talk with some people who are working in the local "scene" and can help me gather some general information. Help me decide if it's the place for me!

Just reach out to a fellow filmmaker - remember, we all work in a global industry, there are no real national barriers to what we do and we need to stick together!

So, yeah. It's a very serious and genuine request and I trust the good folk of REDUser will be forthcoming with assistance.

Here's the contact page on my website:
    http://www.charliepigdog.com/contact.html

Please e-mail me directly if you are interested in helping me out.

Cheers guys,
    D'Arcy
    Last edited by D'Arcy Foley-Dawson; 01-28-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Confirmed dates

Give me a PM D'arcy. If I am in town, I'd be glad to meet for a coffee.
    Dylan Macleod, CSC
    Cinematographer
    LA/NY/TO
    www.dylanmacleod.com

...and by the way - you are coming to Toronto at exactly the right time to decide if you want to move here or not.
    It will likely being f-ing cold!!!
    Dylan Macleod, CSC
    Cinematographer
    LA/NY/TO
    www.dylanmacleod.com

First thing is you've got to figure any Visa requirements.

Then you have to ask yourself is "this my call for adventure? I am just bored with my life that I need to move?"

Then you must ask yourself, "if indeed the music scene is cool in Toronto, will it support the production of music videos enough for me to at least pay my bills?"

best wishes,
    David in Toronto

Hey Dylan, thanks mate, will do! Don't have any definite dates yet as I'm still travelling through Ireland; but I know it will be some time before the end of February. But when I have flights planned I will let you know.

And yeah I hear you about the weather, I couldn't believe it when a Canadian girl told me the other day how cold it gets there in winter. But I've been in England and Ireland for the past month so I'm a little bit better prepared for it than if I was coming straight from Australia!

Hey David, yes I have asked myself those questions and more. Fortunately we have an agreement that means I can get a visa to work in Canada for two years, it's your standard working holiday visa. I know a lot of people who have done it and I have done the same thing in the UK in the past.

If I relocated to Canada I would look for work as a cinema projectionist, which is something I have been doing for years and it's a set of skills that not many people have. That would allow me to support myself financially whilst pursuing freelance music video work.

You have to understand that the film industry in Australia is far too small for people with serious ambitions. Anyone who is serious about making a career as a filmmaker plans to make the move to a bigger market - ie. North America or Europe - at some point in the future. I know of two very successful, very talented young music video/commercial production collectives that have started in Melbourne, built up a reputation and an impressive folio and are now relocating to London and New York respectively. That's just the reality for us folk in the southern hemisphere.

Hey D'Arcy
    Give me a ring or shoot an email.
    I am back in Toronto in second half of February.
    Dylan is right about the weather. Invest in some wool gloves and a hat:)
    Cheers

Albert

PS
    My contact is on my site.

Hey Albert,

Thanks heaps, will do!

*bumpage*

i have confirmed dates now, sunday 7th to sunday 14th i'll be in t dot.

staying in downtown but i can come to wherever suits.

a couple nice people have kindly offered to meet up, but c'mon i know there's gotta be more of you! don't be shy, help out a fellow filmie.

back in melbourne the scene is so small it breeds competitiveness and that breeds unfriendliness. i'm sure toronto ain't the same so give us a shout! i'll buy you a coffee/beer/organic decaf chai mochacino.

cheers,
    darcy

Hey D'arcy,

I'll meet up with you.

PM me and we can set up a time.

David
    "Fantastic!"
    Battistella

As you can see it's a friendly environment in this city, give me a call or shoot the PM

Jack M
    Jack Mosor
    REDucated at REDucation 001
    TA @ REDucation

CINECREW.NET
    www.psps.com