Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: November 30th Announcement Feedback

Closed Thread
Page 131 of 144 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1434
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ward View Post
    Will the Redmote be able to view and listen to a live feed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    nope :)
    Haha! I made it sound like, the Redmote has A.I.

I was really trying to say, Does the Redmote have Live Monitoring Capabilities?

Thanks Jarred for answering my question anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd M. View Post
    I'm pretty certain there is a loss in light transmittance to each sensor due to the use of a prism.
    No doubt, but I'd be surprised if it was more than a few percent with modern optics. Certainly not enough to result in the total light received by the sensors being less than the total amount received (after filtering) by the photosites on a 2/3" bayer sensor.

Mind you, the 2/3" Scarlet is shaping up to be a really nice little camera. But you might have to actually spring for the S35 Scarlet and pay a full $7,000 for a Red camera that really unambiguously beats Sony's $200,000 flagship camera on all (rather than just most) technical criteria. (I sometimes wonder how the Red staff avoids breaking into exuberant maniacal laughter when they think about that sort of thing. For all I know, they don't avoid it.)
    DI Workflow, Nice Dissolve. You should follow me on Twitter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Riordan View Post
    I've shot with the varicam and Red one. The red one affords a much more cinematic experience and a greater sexy factor partly (i would argue this is a big part) due to it's chip size. 2/3" is smaller than S16 and I find S16 somewhat limiting. Red one is an easy choice over any other digital cam. In my mind the F23 is a colossally expensive camera with an ENG aesthetic because of it's 2/3" chip.
    It can be argued, however, that with lenses like the DigiPrimes that open up to 1.3 that there is an advantage with 2/3" - namely that you can shoot at 1.3, and still have a workable DOF for the focus puller. F1.3 on 2/3" looks like a 2.8-4 split on S35 (keeping FOV constant), which is about the stop I would bet the bulk of interior dramatic stuff is shot.
    Charles Angus Taylor
    www.charlesangustaylor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Strangways View Post
    If price were no object, or someone would give me, for free, a complete package of any of the upcoming RED cameras, I would choose the 2/3" over any other.

It seems that so many people are obsessed with shallow depth of field these days... ah well, if 3D catches on big time, it will quickly put an end to that.
    Of course, there are other advantages to larger sensors aside from DOF. First and foremost is superior image quality.

I don't see why the equivalent depth of field of shooting 35mm at around an f/5.6 is an "ENG aesthetic". Who decreed that the only acceptable f-stops to shoot 35mm at were f/4.0 and wider?
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Strangways View Post
    If price were no object, or someone would give me, for free, a complete package of any of the upcoming RED cameras, I would choose the 2/3" over any other.

It seems that so many people are obsessed with shallow depth of field these days... ah well, if 3D catches on big time, it will quickly put an end to that.
    You would pass up a camera which can shoot:

2/3", S35 or FF35 for a camera which can only shoot 2/3"?

Sensors are like haircuts. You can always trim but you can't add. Get the largest sensor you can afford/fit. It'll offer the most flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    You would pass up a camera which can shoot:

2/3", S35 or FF35 for a camera which can only shoot 2/3"?

Sensors are like haircuts. You can always trim but you can't add. Get the largest sensor you can afford/fit. It'll offer the most flexibility.
    Very eloquently stated.
    Go BIG, or go HOME!

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    I don't see why the equivalent depth of field of shooting 35mm at around an f/5.6 is an "ENG aesthetic". Who decreed that the only acceptable f-stops to shoot 35mm at were f/4.0 and wider?
    Exactly David. I think there were other problems with the images on 2/3" cameras in the past and the deeper depth of field got blamed. I have seen gorgeous images with shallow DoF on the RED at 2k with a nice Angenieux lens at t2.2. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised with the 2/3" Scarlet.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    Précisément! Or, just for instance, this search turns up plenty of gorgeous photos that could easily be stills from a film. (Assuming APS-C is roughly equivalent to 35mm motion picture film.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    I think that isn't correct. If I am not mistaken the bayer pattern has two pixels with green filters for each red and blue filtered pixel. So besides whatever loss there is in the debayering algorithm (which affects red blue and green), you automatically have half the red and blue color resolution.
    Which mimics the color resolution of the human eye very closely. Most 3 chip video cams also sub sample red and blue at half the green sample rate or less. You have to get to HDCAM SR 4:4:4 to get full color sampling.