Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: November 30th Announcement Feedback

Closed Thread
Page 69 of 144 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119 ... LastLast
    That UI is cool.

Jarred, I have a few questions about the fixed Scarlet kit:
    1) It doesn't seem to include a reasonable way to hand-hold it. Do you have plans for that?
    2) A 2.8" LCD seems awfully small for a 3K camera. You said that we can upgrade to the 5". Would that cost the price difference between the two ($700)?
    3) You said that CF cards cannot do REDCODE100 (and therefore probably not 120 FPS). What is the maximum continuous FPS Scarlet 2/3 can do out of the box?
    4) Is there a way to record to a third-party eSATA hard drive or SSD? If it is fast enough, it should be able to do REDCODE100.

And now a few gripes (I hope this doesn't mean you won't answer my questions.)
    1) I was hoping for 3 levels of ND: .6, 1.2, 1.8. If I can only have two, I think I would prefer .6 and 1.2, then I can carry a .3 if I want 1-stop resolution.
    2) I was hoping for T2.4 that Jim said once, but it turned out to be T2.6. Oh well.
    3) It sounds like the battery will only last about 60-90 minutes. I was hoping for more. I have fallen in love with my Sony batteries that run for 5 hours.
    4) I would have to pay $950 for a side handle to be able to use flash in still mode, but I guess Scarlet 2/3 isn't really a stills camera.

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Smith View Post
    Much lighter weight. That is one of the biggest drawbacks of my RED ONE. It's heavy. Magnesium will shave more weight potentially enabling the use of smaller support systems. It gets my vote.
    As a further comparison: aluminum weighs in at 2.70 grams/cubic centimeter while magnesium is 1.738 g/cc. That's a ballpark anyway since they will surely be using alloys which will probably be just a little bit more dense. Given the size of the Scarlet, I would imagine that even the Al body will be rather light. I suppose that if you have to carry it around and/or handhold it all day, the Mg body may be worth the extra money. I'm used to working with a mostly steel film camera, so even Al will be a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nils Ruinet View Post
    Given that the Scarlet now has so many high-end features that were initially only available on Epic, what are the differences between Epics and Scarlets now ?

There is a $21 000 price difference between a S35 Epic and a S35 Scarlet.

Are the higher frame rates and bitrates the only differences ?
    120 fps at 3K on Scarlet (+ 150 fps burst), Redcode 100
    160 fps at 3K on Epic, and 100 fps at 5K, Redcode 250 ?

Did I miss something ?
    Jim made a post a while back stating that framerates are what cost money these days so yeah, the $21,000 is mainly for faster framerates. The Epic S35 does 250fps at 2k though, which is some serious slow mo.

If you need to do high speed at full res the Epic is the only way to go.
    • Scarlet S35 @5k = 30fps (sustained) 72fps (bursts)
    • Epic S35 @ 5k = 100fps sustained

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    I'm getting a Scarlet for my wife. I think it's a mad sexy accessory.
    Fair trade.

Ba-Dum, CRASH!

(Sorry.)

So I have a couple questions, Jarred. Does the fixed zoom look the same as the mini primes, except it zooms and isn't as fast? (T2.6, right?) Or are the mini-primes sharper and less distortiony and stuff? Are you planning on releasing a mini-zoom for the interchangeable version? I'm inclined towards the fixed, but I feel like the extra stop-and-a-half-or-so would come in really handy sometimes. But the fixed is such a beautiful complete package. Man. Hard decision.

I can't get over how freaking cheap it is. There's no way anyone whining about the cost isn't a troll.

Is #21, "240 - 8000 ISO?"

Any idea when we can see a zone plate of the 2/3" sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by xcm View Post
    ok, sorry...
    look at this, hope this helps

this picture can be found the nov 30 announcement.
    Thanks. Geez, if you didn't look really closely, you'd miss it. Can you tell me what the dual four-pin ports are immediately below the HDMI port?

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Newman View Post
    Jarred, I have a few questions about the fixed Scarlet kit:

1) It doesn't seem to include a reasonable way to hand-hold it. Do you have plans for that?
    We have a whole slew of optional accessories for the Scarlet system that will be announced over the next while.. There is something for everyone.

2) A 2.8" LCD seems awfully small for a 3K camera. You said that we can upgrade to the 5". Would that cost the price difference between the two ($700)?
    You can use the 5" LCD on any of the cameras, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can trade in the packaged 2.8" for credit. Part of the reason we can make the package for such an incredible price is manufacturing all the pieces in quantity together to be sold together, much like the base production pack for the RED ONE. That said.. we are still discussing internally if there may be any options, so stay tuned.

3) You said that CF cards cannot do REDCODE100 (and therefore probably not 120 FPS). What is the maximum continuous FPS Scarlet 2/3 can do out of the box?
    Frame rate and REDCODE rate are not tied together remember, so you can lower your REDCODE rate to shoot higher frame rates on slower media. It is impossible to answer the question on what those maximum rates are right now till everything is together and up and running.

4) Is there a way to record to a third-party eSATA hard drive or SSD? If it is fast enough, it should be able to do REDCODE100.
    Most likely not. We continue to experiment with this with the RED ONE and the speeds and stability of "random" drives just are not reliable enough. That said we do have options of offloading footage AFTER it is shot over Gig-E etc. to standard drives, when sustained rate is much less important.

1) I was hoping for 3 levels of ND: .6, 1.2, 1.8. If I can only have two, I think I would prefer .6 and 1.2, then I can carry a .3 if I want 1-stop resolution.
    The power of the ND's arrived from a number of factors.. including the incredible ISO flexibility of the new MX sensors, the interaction with IR balance, and use cases :)

2) I was hoping for T2.4 that Jim said once, but it turned out to be T2.6. Oh well.
    Lens is F2.4, T2.6. (And Incredible)

3) It sounds like the battery will only last about 60-90 minutes. I was hoping for more. I have fallen in love with my Sony batteries that run for 5 hours.
    Its sort of like comparing a 911 Turbo to a Honda Civic... The Civic is going to give you alot more MPG, but not go anywhere near as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Osinski View Post
    they don't have any of the cameras working yet. Jarred already said they wont have tattoo working for some event in early january
    But they must be testing with prototypes that could give us a better idea of image quality. We've seen the dog and the lizard, would really like to see some more. Human beings and landscapes for example. Anything.

Reading specs is so... technical.

Hi,

what is the lightest configuration for the scarlet 2/3 fixed ?

Is it possible to deport to 5 meters (for example) battery, recorder, redmote, lcd (I know this one is not too difficult ) ?

Thanks