Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: November 30th Announcement Feedback

Closed Thread
Page 58 of 144 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    We appreciate how much time you guys spend here too.. We are all in this together :)
    what a great attitude love it
    story, story, story, and lots of hard work.

Can anyone at RED answer...

Can I upgrade the LCD on the 2/3" Fixed Lens Scarlet from the 2.5" to a more comfortable 5" touchscreen LCD?

Also is there any news or specs to what SSD's we can expect to be using. I know 1.8" SSD's. Are RED going to issue their own? and what are the specs going to be? Most 1.8" SSD drives seem to be ablout 80MB/s write speed and 200-250MB/s sustained is this sufficient for the Scarlet's Redcode 100 codec?
    Neil B Smith
    NBS Studio
    HD, 2K, 3K, 4K video production, 3d animation & Architectural Visualisation
    Company website: www.nbs-studio.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart English View Post
    ...the 3-axis accelerometer data is captured each frame, so we can extract the camera's 3D orientation from that, and
    this is complemented by the GPS data which acts as a time / location reference.
    So does this mean that I can export camera movement data to Cinema 4D, AE, Maya, Motion, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Burkhart View Post
    ... The real questions: How fast will the Scarlet S35 or FF be reading off the sensor, in order to get around rolling shutter? How will it be downscaling to avoid aliasing, moire, artifacts, etc.? These are the solutions that are worth paying for.
    Sorry, but I don't see how this is the "real question" at all. It's like asking Toyota back in the day if their gas tanks will blow-up upon impact. Um they didn't make the Pinto.

And Red didn't make the 5/7D's. Why would you think they'd start introducing problems that not only don't exist w/ the Red One but have also been mentioned by the Red team as being siginifcant detriments to using the current crop of still cameras for motion work?

What you brought up simply isn't a problem w/ Red now... and there is no reason to believe it will be in any of their future cameras.

Sakes I really hope we make the projected May-June release.

my fingers will be perpetually crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Flugum View Post
    That is the same question I have. First post here but have been reading for quite some time. These announcements are quite impressive. Looking forward to getting a Scarlet in the near future. This question may just decide which version I will be going with.

Thanks,
    Flugo

Depth of field is a function of the size of the image at the image plane. So for any given camera system, DOF is a direct function of the size of the sensor. Larger sensors have inherently more shallow DOF than do smaller sensors.

You can manipulate DOF in three ways: 1) camera to subject distance, 2) focal length, and 3) aperture. So with a given composition on a 35mm sized sensor, the same COMPOSITION (size of the subject in the frame) with the same camera to subject distance and aperture setting will produce a more shallow DOF on a larger sensor and greater DOF on a smaller sensor. It just so happens that to produce the same composition on a 2/3" (or roughly 16mm sized) sensor requires about half the focal length (or a little less) in lensing than a 35mm sensor does.

(Of course, one must keep in mind that a 35mm still camera has a larger image area than does a 35mm motion picture camera, so comparisons of lens focal lengths demands clarification as to which "35mm system" you are referencing.)

Some DPs/Directors find it easier to think the other way around and start with focal length rather than sensor size... which is why people refer to "35mm equivalent" for the 2/3" Scarlett (for example). Ultimately, one should choose the system that serves the shooter's needs best. For many (especially ENG,) having a smaller sensor makes it easier to focus in a run & gun situation because there is inherently greater DOF within the system.

Probably more info than you need, but since several have asked, I felt compelled to offer it.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by GPSchnyder View Post
    You can change it manually via one of the Rings you assign the focus to...
    ok cool, that sounds good thx
    story, story, story, and lots of hard work.

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #578 Image Stabilization 
    So does this mean that I can export camera movement data to Cinema 4D, AE, Maya, Motion, etc?
    In principle yes, but as a practical matter this data needs to be published in a formal SDK before that integration work could start.
    Workflow Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Spurrier View Post
    Given the 2/3 inch chip, I suspect that 35mm still or film lenses will not be the best choice of lens for the Scarlet.
    I haven't done the maths. I'm sure others have, but I guess that a 35mm still lens focal angle will be at least doubled when used on the Scarlet.
    Also, one will only be using the centre portion of the lens, and the lens was not designed for this.

Paul
    When I began renting Arri 16SRs, the rental house offered lenses designed for 16mm systems. Over time, they found it easier to stock only lenses made for 35mm systems. This was fine for me since the quality of the 35mm lenses was such that taking a "center punch" from those lenses produced beautiful images while at the same time further limiting vignetting and distortion at the edges of the frame when shooting at shorter focal lengths.

Same holds true for Scarlett, I imagine. It comes down to what lenses you're invested in by the time you decide which Scarlett imager to go with.

Tim

Ah. Exciting nonetheless.