Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: ASIC issue...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    While we appreciate your support... trust me when I tell you that everyone here is not happy. We all want it right and we want it NOW. We are the 1st customers. It kills us when we get setbacks. But we also have an obligation to tell it like it is.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Thanks for the update Jim. Good news is that Scarlet info drops in 8 days. =]

- always look at the bright side -
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]It isn't the cinematographer who owns the film, but rather the film and its story that owns the cinematographer." -- Anthony Dod Mantle, ASC
    --
    "Lose the ego. Do great work and take pride in it, but don’t be arrogant about how great you think you are." - Chuck Russom

the future is gonna be with us for the rest of our lives
    Johnny St.Ours
    PIRÆUS PICTURE Co

Good things take time! Better the product be Red then dead, eh?
    "Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." -Kurt Vonnegut

Projects with the Red One:

Maya - Writer/Director/DP - Red #0018 "Demolition"

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    You can't imagine how difficult a trick it is what we are trying to accomplish.... there is just no way. Our engineering team is all world, but the magnitude of complexity is hard to imagine.
    Yes, we can imagine, I was just reviewing all the photos of EPIC and it really is fucking incredible what you guys are doing...whats unfathomable is how FAST you guys are trying to do this.

But in the end, we will be judged by what we put out, not how long it took.

Jim
    Exactly... and most of us get this. This is actually good news... its closer than I imagined actually.

"Most of it works" regarding ASICS is good to hear! I am only sorry as I know metal retooling will cost MORE $ for RED...

keep on keeping on and I suggest printing out your last sentence and hanging it in RED garage... :)
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

6. #16 Nov 30th Announcement 
    Hi Jim:
    Was just wondering if there was still going to be a Scarlet announcement on the 30th of this month or will that be pushed back too.... No pressure from me, just thought it would be good to know... I wish you the the very best in your endeavors. I know that pushing the envelope can be a bitch at times......

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac C View Post
    Now what does it mean Metal Spin

I assume Full re-spin is starting from scratch?
    ASICs are done in layers... a metal spin means that the overall design is good but one or more of the layers (of 30) needs to be changed. It is a MUCH better situation than a full re-spin. One takes a month... the other can take several months.

I have to say that 95+% of our ASIC works great. This is quite a feat considering that industry experts say this is the single most complicated ASIC ever attempted.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman B. Miller View Post
    Hi Jim:
    Was just wondering if there was still going to be a Scarlet announcement on the 30th of this month or will that be pushed back too.... No pressure from me, just thought it would be good to know... I wish you the the very best in your endeavors. I know that pushing the envelope can be a bitch at times......
    Yes to Scarlet announcement on Nov. 30th.

Jim

ASICs are done in layers... a metal spin means that the overall design is good but one or more of the layers needs to be changed. It is a MUCH better situation than a full re-spin. One takes a month... the other can take several months.

I have to say that 95+% of our ASIC works great. This is quite a feat considering that industry experts say this is the single most complicated ASIC ever attempted.

Jim
    Good to know, thanks for clarifying, and as I just twittered: Frankly I can wait 30 more days in the long run, I've already been waiting almost a year and a half

...Everyone, starting with me, wants all this done yesterday. My reputation, along with the whole RED team... is on the line. But in the end, we will be judged by what we put out, not how long it took.

Jim
    Hey Jim,

The way Red works is way ahead of any other company I know !! And your products are ground breaking. I truly believe you changed to Video/Film world forever !!

Take as long as you want :)

Cheers, Tim.