Thread: Does Red Rocket co-exist in Mac Pro with Kona 3?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Does Red Rocket co-exist in Mac Pro with Kona 3? 
    I'm interested in the Red Rocket mainly for the real-time transcodes from R3D to Apple ProRes422. My question is....any reason why Red Rocket card can't co-exist in my Mac Pro with my AJA Kona 3 card?

Only reason why I would think it might be an issue is PCI bandwidth - there's also the graphics card and a Apple Fibre Channel card in the Mac Pro (new 2009 2.9Ghz Nehalem model).

Anyone running both cards?

I just found this thread...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32945

Looks like some are using both fine, as long as the Kona 3 is in the second PCI slot and the Red Rocket is in the third. Anyone else with first-hand experience with this setup? I'd love to get some more feedback.

Got a kona3, rocket and 3ware(side car) raid card all working fine. I drilled holes in my raid cards bracket to get the rockets sdi cables out. This way the rocket does not take up 2 bracket slots!

j

I did not get the K3 and the RR to play nicely together in our mac pro - Harpertown. The RR is fine with the Kona being in there as long as the RR is the bottom slot (is that 2? I can never remember...) But the Kona stalled intermittently, regardless of resolution of the source material, when the RR is in there. There may be some magic combo, but I didn't find it.

I have an LH/e in there now, but haven't messed with it at all, so I don't know if there are issues. The K3 is working fine in another machine without the RR installed.

I'm not saying 'it doesn't work.' I'm saying 'I couldn't get it to work in my machine.' YMMV. Please continue to post individual results and configurations!

We've been running two systems with Kona 3's, raid card, video card and Rocket for a few months now. The SDI slot filler is being run out the front of the tower through the second DVD-ROM tray.
    best regards,

jeremy

Oh, and we put the SDI connectors on the eSata extension / filler tab.
    http://www.meritline.com/pc-internal...?source=fghdac

Like this one, only with a longer cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Newmark View Post
    We've been running two systems with Kona 3's, raid card, video card and Rocket for a few months now. The SDI slot filler is being run out the front of the tower through the second DVD-ROM tray.
    How are these configured?

Systems, slots, versions...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Newmark View Post
    Can you give me a step by step procedure you used to put the Red Rocket SDI slot filler through the DVD -Rom bay. It is currently taking up the no. 3 slot (3rd from bottom) on my MAc pro and i am looking to get a matrox mxo2 or kona 3 and I will need that space back.

I don't really know which screws to loosen in order to get to the DVD bay to remove it and slot the SDI filler. I don't wanna drill holes in my MAc pro either. So please if you can give me a step by step on how to get it in the DVD bay or any other place on the MAC so long as I have them sticking out of the mac pro, I will appreciate it. Is it possible to have them hanging out through the side panel in any way.

I have a RR and Kona 3 in a 2.93GHZ Nehalem Mac Pro working without any problems. RR in slot 2 and K3 in slot 3. 4th slot is 3ware raid controller.

Realtime 1080p and SD downconverts from 4K. Doesn't get any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Huson View Post
    How are these configured?

Systems, slots, versions...
    Greg,

The two systems are identical, Latest 2.93Ghz Octo's:
    Slot1 - ATI Radeon HD 4870
    Slot2 - RedRocket
    Slot3 - Kona3
    Slot4 - Dulce Systems RAID Controller

The only difference is we have one system running Leopard and the other running Snow Leopard. Both are working fine.
    best regards,

jeremy