Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RocketCine notes / Feature requests

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 RocketCine notes / Feature requests 
    So I'm knee deep in my first real project with the RedRocket. I was going to wait till I was done and make a nice formal email, but at the speed of Red I figured I'd get my 2c in early. I know most of this stuff is being dealt with. p.s. THIS THING ROCKS!

RocketCine wishes:

A full screen working mode. ie no OS window bar on top, and a minimized Rocket Cine X title bar (or just get rid of it please) but still have all the controls visible.

Be able to edit looks

Be able to export looks

Be able to group looks (like layers in photoshop, be able to nest them )

Be able to save a "project" IE: Looks + the imported clips + render presets, etc into a single XML file, for multi machine transport.

An auto save option for that project file, and the option to have it opened automatically at startup

Be able to change base frame rates of individual clips.

A "custom" resolution field in the export window frame size dropdown. Currently It's confusing be cause there is a custom size box right next to a drop down of standard sizes. It's not always clear which takes precedence.

Undo

Snapshot export should remember the last export location used.

Faster Way of selecting multiple clips in the list. (shift click, or click drag a box around a group of clips The radio Checkbox is to slow because it requires such a precise click)

Keyboard shortcut to move through the clips in the bin (up/down arrow)

Way to copy and past looks between clips without creating a preset (similar to Lightroom's "previous") This would be great it if was just standard copy and paste

Add a field to the clip list to notify when a clip has a RSX associated with it. (Icon or flag or just a x in a column)

BUGS:

Curves column is cropped off on a monitor (1920x1080)

Render fail when drive is out of space with no notification

Questions:

Will it support exporting non square pixels in the future (For compatibility with D1, Dv, DVCPROhd)?
    _mike

"One for a meal, One for the reel, or One to learn something"

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    A full screen working mode. ie no OS window bar on top, and a minimized Rocket Cine X title bar (or just get rid of it please) but still have all the controls visible.
    I believe you can make the bar go away by collapsing it (I'll have to check tomorrow on that). Full Screen mode is a good idea.

Be able to edit looks
    Be able to export looks
    Exporting looks will be tied to the new look format we're doing (being finalized with the new cameras for consistency). This will be supported with the SDK also. Definitely for REDcineX (see note below about RCX vs RKCX).

Be able to group looks (like layers in photoshop, be able to nest them )
    We'll look into it. It might be feasible using rocket but don't know yet.

Be able to save a "project" IE: Looks + the imported clips + render presets, etc into a single XML file, for multi machine transport.

An auto save option for that project file, and the option to have it opened automatically at startup
    Coming very soon for REDcineX.

Be able to change base frame rates of individual clips.
    Can you elaborate on what situations you want to do that for?

A "custom" resolution field in the export window frame size dropdown. Currently It's confusing be cause there is a custom size box right next to a drop down of standard sizes. It's not always clear which takes precedence.
    The box does. the pull down is for convenience.
    Locking out the box unless you choose custom is how it should work but finessing details like that hasn't been high on the priority list vs fixing bugs and getting other features in.

Undo

Snapshot export should remember the last export location used.

Faster Way of selecting multiple clips in the list. (shift click, or click drag a box around a group of clips The radio Checkbox is to slow because it requires such a precise click)

Keyboard shortcut to move through the clips in the bin (up/down arrow)

Way to copy and past looks between clips without creating a preset (similar to Lightroom's "previous") This would be great it if was just standard copy and paste

Add a field to the clip list to notify when a clip has a RSX associated with it. (Icon or flag or just a x in a column)

Render fail when drive is out of space with no notification
    Agreed. All stuff we'd like to add into RedcineX.

Will it support exporting non square pixels in the future (For compatibility with D1, Dv, DVCPROhd)?
    [/QUOTE]

The .9 Squeeze option does this.

RocketcineX was done specifically for a dailies workflow and so we could get an usable app out faster than we knew we could get REDcineX out. Now that we are syncronizing the two together again, the goal is to move all the rocketcine functionality into REDcineX. This will also give us more flexibility to do a better dailies workflow.

We'd like to hear what kind UI interaction would be desirable in REDcineX as it evolves.

Good list. Couple of things:

As Deanan says, you can have customized frame sizes, I do it all the time.

When you say be able to group looks, do you mean haveing multiple looks assigned to the same clip and toggle between, or do you mean grouping them in the looks window so they are easier to keep track of?

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhare View Post
    Good list. Couple of things:

As Deanan says, you can have customized frame sizes, I do it all the time.

When you say be able to group looks, do you mean haveing multiple looks assigned to the same clip and toggle between, or do you mean grouping them in the looks window so they are easier to keep track of?
    I took it to mean say a base look and another look ontop of that which modifies the base look (or combined).

switching off camera audio export would be great
    http://www.k-effects.com
    Postproduction - Workflow Service - VFX - Animation

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainer Fritz View Post
    switching off camera audio export would be great
    Already have that request logged from your email :)

cool Deanan thx a lot m8 :)

what would you say to a expansion possibility of the histogram... something like in redalert, that we can mark positions and be able to set blacklevel more accurate....
    http://www.k-effects.com
    Postproduction - Workflow Service - VFX - Animation

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainer Fritz View Post
    cool Deanan thx a lot m8 :)

what would you say to a expansion possibility of the histogram... something like in redalert, that we can mark positions and be able to set blacklevel more accurate....
    Can't say what we have planned for that yet but it's good stuff :)

9. #9 multiclip mode 
    I can get this to work when using the RocketCine viewer, but not when using Rocket HDSDI output. Am I missing something?

BTW, multiclip timeline playout works great in RCX!
    andy young
    director*dp www.archipelagofilms.com
    vp, special projects www.duart.com
    reel

Deanan, when do you suspect that PsF and Audio will be working? Are we going to have to wait until the next big release, or are you going to release a new version with these fixed. If it's waiting until the next big release is it going to be months before this is added. Please let us know.