Thread: Worst Piece of Nonsense ever "Published"...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Worst Piece of Nonsense ever "Published"... 
    http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2009/1...k-in-the-butt/

Basically, RED is a dream. Not your dream. But Jim Jannardís dream. The guyís a billionaire, and so he put together the RED company on the side. Itís obviously his hobby. If the company goes nowhere eventually, oh well, at least he had fun doing it.

But RED? It is Jimís dream, and we were all in it. But we just woke up. I just hope Jim does too. Jim, save your money. Thatís all I can say to you.

This person has as much business writing about Jim Jannard and the Red camera company as I have of writing about cellular biology.

Red is a "hobby" for Jim??? Someone is going to be eating their words.

She's a troll, don't mind her. The fact she says that RED is going to die is absurd. RED is going to explode... what's going to die is her little blog that nobody reads.

I read her blog. Not very insightful IMO.

In reference to Jim and RED, "If he just wanted to pour money down a hole, he should have given the money to people who need it instead, e.g. via Unicef."

Sheesh Eugenia!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Frank View Post
    I read her blog. Not very insightful IMO.
    I have insights on nuclear physics that are more insightful....

I was going to correct some of the people posting comments, but some people are just so ignorant it's not worth the effort...

The classic wars of the haves vs. the have nots. The RED camera is great for the people that can afford it. For the people that can't afford it an emotional frustration boils to the surface... resentment and all kinds of other expressions then emerge. RED will not change the dynamics of the system in which we live. Cinematography is a money game. Now if RED goes into production partnerships with locations and RED owners can get location discounts... that would be nice Jim. I mean paying 20k to shoot at Vizcaya mansion in miami sucks... heck u don't even get a full 24 hours. Hey Jim can you start a true revolution and help us get discounts on location, catering, lights, make up, etc? Expand the Tattoo group... members could have a big tattoo of RED on their backs yakuza style. What we really need is not just a camera company but a cinematographer mob. Heck but then the people that couldn't get into the mob would then hate even more. Hmmm... what a dilemma.
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

Package for rent in South Florida with RED EPIC Dragon 6K, RED One, Sony a7S II, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon L lenses, Zeiss CP.2 T1.5 Super Speeds, EZ Rig + DJI Ronin & EZ Jib + Remote Head. Grip package with LED LitePanels 1X1, Kino Flo 4x4, ARRI Fresnels & Source Four Leko. Rentals/Equipment List: http://facetmedia.com/camera-packages/

Saying that Red is a "Hobby" for Jim Jannard is like saying that "Peace" was a hobby for Ghandi. Come on.

Eugenia has certainly had better moments than this. Although, she certainly is entitled to her opinion. I just don't agree with her conclusions, especially about Canon. Sorry, but Canon has never really gotten it. Look at their track record when it comes to video. At best, they've had some gems amongst the ruins. Stills world, that's another thing altogether. They have had great success in that market.

I can understand some frustration if you had high expectations. But unfortunately, some of the folks who are complaining about the prices, delays, etc are not working professionally in the industry or they would understand what RED has done to shake it up. And they have the ability to change on a dime. It's a different way of doing business. Oakley did pretty well. I think Jim's doing pretty well with RED, and getting better with every day because they're learning, they're trying to push the envelope and they want to succeed.

If Scarlet 2/3 fixed was announced tomorrow with a price tag of $4800 at the specs we expect, wow, that is a bargain. Just look at cameras in that market like the EX-1. Sorry but 5D and others aren't a good comparison because to use them in a professional environment requires some add-ons that bring the cost up much higher than the street price of the body. Scarlet will be a bargain if it can do 90% of what's been claimed.

I know people feel entitled these days to getting gear for nearly nothing so they can make their art. But, you have to be realistic. Jim can't give away cameras, and he can't ship cameras that aren't ready. This isn't Red One. This is mass market stuff. It needs to work out of the box. And they are taking that very seriously. If you can't wait for Scarlet, I'd recommend buying another camera or renting and shoot lots of stuff to get better. Never wait on technology. Use what you have to its fullest potential.
    Steve Sherrick

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Gentle View Post
    I was going to correct some of the people posting comments, but some people are just so ignorant it's not worth the effort...
    Agreed
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

I am not a troll, or ignorant, but I definintely am entitled to my opinion. An opinion shared by many others btw. Some of these others, while not open about it, are people some of you already know in the filmmaking community. The difference is that I am not afraid to talk my mind. I never was.

As for Jim, and RED being a "hobby" of his, it sure looks like it is. I am sure he would like this to be a sustainable business, but the way I see it right now, it's not. RED has spread too thin IMO with over-promising and under-delivering. This was a strategic mistake, and yes, that's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

In 5 hours so far I heard of 3 individuals who were awaiting for the Scarlet and after today's announcements they in fact ordered the 7D. I suspect that a lot of others will be like that too, so this just can't be good for RED. RED should not have created all this hype with products that were 2 years away. This can never lead to a good result.

But then again, to whom do I preach? You are here because you like RED in the first place. On other video forums, where people are not so one-sided, the discussion is more balanced. But I digress. If my blog post gives you that fuel for shouting out your anger to the situation, go ahead. I will be your black sheep that you will roast in the pit. I don't mind it, I am in fact used to it. And quite honestly, proud of it.