Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Dead Red Raid

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brigham.. so RED fixed it? Meryem so you got a RED RAID fixed by RED?

Mike

Banned
    It looks like I managed to fix it. Will do extensive tests before any firm conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Achtel View Post
    It looks like I managed to fix it. Will do extensive tests before any firm conclusions.
    I wouldn't think that a guy who would rip the nose off his 50D for a science experiment would be deterred by a little thing like a snuffed drive...

For the rest of us, yes, RED did a very timely repair on my drive, did the data recovery to a separate drive provided by me, and sent it back, just received it yesterday. Top-notch service.

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #14  
    Thanks, Meryem, glad we could help.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Thanks, Meryem, glad we could help.

BC
    I've had several customer service interactions now, and you all get more efficient and responsive all the time...you would think it might go the other way, considering that you have more cameras delivered every day, but whatever they're putting in the water over there, to keep you all chugging along, well, I need a sip of that!

It was a big relief...when you back out the price of what it would have cost me to have the data recovered by a 3rd-party, it is a relatively inexpensive cure.

...hard to put a price tag on non-repeatable data!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
    I wouldn't think that a guy who would rip the nose off his 50D for a science experiment would be deterred by a little thing like a snuffed drive....
    LOL, yes I like pulling things apart. But, that's me. I wouldn't recommend this to most operators.

One thing I did learn was that there is more to Red Raid than meets the eye. It is certainly good value for what they sell it for and I will be getting some spare once, for sure.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. Anyone who voluntarily spends months on a deserted rock with 500 seals as your only company is capable of almost anything!

Just curious Pawel-- How did you manage to fix it, did Zakaree's tip help?

A drive in the RED Raid died and I replaced the Hitachi 5400 rpm 160GB drives in the red raid with Hitachi 7200 rpm 320GB drives. These were virgin drives, at first the camera hung on initialization, after turning off and resetting the pram the camera did boot but the drive was not recognized.
    Finally, I formatted the drive as FAT 32 on the mac and connected it to the camera, the drive was now recognized as a 3rd party CF card (I guess a rather large one) and automatically limited by the camera to 2K.

The drive is now certainly faster than it was before. Any ideas on how to copy any files resident on the remaining operable drive that was part of the raid set, or perhaps cloning from an image of a working 640 drive?
    Last edited by John_Sutton; 12-13-2009 at 01:33 PM.

Banned
    It's not that simple.
    I'm not sure if 7200 rpm drives are going to meet the heat, power and compatibility criteria but, in any case, the drives need to be striped on hardware level. Formatting them on your 'puter will not achieve this and, in fact, will prevent it.
    You can contact me off line.