Thread: Cooke S16 or Nikon glass

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Cooke S16 or Nikon glass 
    Ok,

I have an offer for a Cooke 9-50 mm T3.1 S16 zoom. It's only S16 of course, but before upgrading to a Red zoom (hopefully), does anyone have experience with one of these and could comment on advantages & disadvantages compared to Nikon lenses, besides the obvious I'm limited to 2k. I'm looking at a Nikon 17-35. $2k for the Cooke vs $1k for the Nikon.

Cheers,
    Damien
    www.c-sideprod.ch
    camera rental and post services

www.earthling-prod.net
    filmmaking around the world since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by earthling View Post
    Ok,

I have an offer for a Cooke 9-50 mm T3.1 S16 zoom. It's only S16 of course, but before upgrading to a Red zoom (hopefully), does anyone have experience with one of these and could comment on advantages & disadvantages compared to Nikon lenses, besides the obvious I'm limited to 2k. I'm looking at a Nikon 17-35. $2k for the Cooke vs $1k for the Nikon.

Cheers,
    Damien
    Hi Damien,

Firstly the 9-50mm is a 16mm lens from 1975 not S16. The S16 version is the famous 10.4-52mm lens, used in "The Draughtsman’s Contract".

If is covers the 2k image it would IMHO be far better than Nikon Glass, as it is not a S16 lens $2k is possibly a little steep from a private seller.

Stephen a big fan of Cooke glass!

Edit Does it have a PL mount? If not a proper Cooke to Pl mount is needed, don't settle for an Arri Std to PL adapter, the FFD won't stay accurate enough and you could end up with soft shots.
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your input. Well that settles it, I hadn't checked yet, not S16, won't cut it. Well I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for a good solution.

Cheers,
    Damien
    www.c-sideprod.ch

www.earthling-prod.net

Quote Originally Posted by earthling View Post
    Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your input. Well that settles it, I hadn't checked yet, not S16, won't cut it. Well I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for a good solution.

Cheers,
    Damien
    Hi Damien,

S16 lenses are more expensive, probably from $5000 - $10,000.

Stephen

you should be able to have a cooke 9-50 converted to S16 ( 10.4-52) - guessing $2500US ( same with zeiss 10-100 T2 lens= 12-120 T2.4 after conversion... if zeiss made them 11-110 T2.2) ...

if you are shooting in S16 mode then 10mm is a wide lens ... 17mm would be more around a normal lens ...

Quote Originally Posted by donatello View Post
    you should be able to have a cooke 9-50 converted to S16 ( 10.4-52) - guessing $2500US ( same with zeiss 10-100 T2 lens= 12-120 T2.4 after conversion... if zeiss made them 11-110 T2.2) ...

if you are shooting in S16 mode then 10mm is a wide lens ... 17mm would be more around a normal lens ...
    Hi,

At that price, its worth thinking about IMHO. Cooke were offering to convert the 18-100 to S16, the price for the conversion to a customers lens was 8500! I can't see it that option on their web site at the moment.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by donatello View Post

Interesting, thanks for the info Donatello. Do you know who does this type of conversion ?

I'm vers interested in this option as I plan to use Red quite a lot for ENG/EFP and documentaries shot abroad. I want an all around lens and 2k raw will give me 4x as much shooting time on a Red drive and the footage is for HD (and SD) distribution.

Cheers,
    Damien
    www.c-sideprod.ch

www.earthling-prod.net

conversion for cook 9-50 & zeiss 10-100
    http://www.visualproducts.com/servic...p?ID=94&Cat=92
    http://www.seriousgear.com/viewProduct.php?id=53

OPTEX in england use to do them but i think they are out of business ?

"Cooke were offering to convert the 18-100 to S16"

the 18-100 is a HUGE lens compared to S16 lens but conversion make it very fast lens ( stop) ... you loose mobilty vs. 16mm lens

Visual Products is showing a Zeiss super 16mm conversion lens for $6900. Might be something to look into.
    "Four Years" - a 35mm short film - http://vimeo.com/3071939