Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Another hint...

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelyoung View Post
    I was totally disappointed with the look of Public Enemies (despite the fact I thought it was once of the most awful films I've seen in years!). But that being said, I'm pretty sure that was the same camera used on Benjamin Button, and maybe even Zodiac, so perhaps it simply takes a genius like Fincher to get a good look out of the Sony...
    When I saw D-9 though, I saw if projected digitally, but was 100% certain it had been shot on film. Was absolutely blown away when I was doing some research and noticed it was RED. Incredible.
    If I manage to get one of the jobs I've applied for, I'm grabbing myself a 2/3" Scarlet asap, and am gonna shoot my Western!
    GY

Actually BB and Zodiac were on the Thompson Viper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Elkington View Post
    Actually BB and Zodiac were on the Thompson Viper.
    Zodiac was almost completely Viper. Benjamin Button was primarily Viper, but F23 was used for the hospital interiors and some other scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    Zodiac was almost completely Viper. Benjamin Button was primarily Viper, but F23 was used for the hospital interiors and some other scenes.
    Also some 35mm in BB, it stuck out like a sore thumb.
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

Please, if you want to discuss Public Enemies, this is not the thread. Here is a good starting point: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29895

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bruno View Post
    Haha, whoa you swooped down fast.

I have no idea myself what Public Enemies was shot on, I have not seen it. But I know from just the trailer it was definitely not film. I was speaking of digital vs. film and not specifically red vs. film.

Sorry if it sounded like I think all digital is the same. Red is closer to the film range than most digital cameras, but when you look at everything as a whole, film is still sitting at the top below everything else.
    You are seriously mistaken. Read about "public Enemy" it was meant to look exactly that way. It was not shot on Red and I am only talking about the RED One. The only discernable difference is how the red footage is on-lined. With Prores 4444, desktop Red footage will now match very closely to System Red footage. the Red is so sharp its amazing. the noise from the cam is so easily removed the argument about noise in the black is plain old stupid. Let the Red team keep working and making better and better sensors, we are living our dreams right now. I can't wait for the new cams to come out.

Senior Member Pietro Impagliazzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Public Enemies was not shot on RED. What are you talking about? Oh, I get it. All digital is the same. Right?

Ask them what District 9 was shot on...

Jim
    I saw District 9 yesterday and it's awesome!

Not one single ugly blown out highlight, not one single noise in the shadows.

Damn, way to go RED and Trent Opaloch! Congrats to you both...

Any DIT that posts here worked on that movie?
    Acintyah khalu ye bhava na tams tarkena yojayet
    There's no use arguing over that which is inconceivable

Pietro Impagliazzo
    vimeo.com/impa
    impagliazzo.500px.com

7.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #87  
    End of Public Enemies posts here. Any more will just get deleted.

Let's get back on track... where were we?

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Jim
    We were about to get another hint Jim :)

Jim
    Yes back on track.

First, let me say that ANOTHER CHOICE, or having ANY CHOICE is just fantastic.

What is critical to me to make my decision is the projected time-frame of R1 to Mysterium X sensors in addition to the projected time-frame of the EPIC-X upgrade roll-out.

We have the very first cameras eligible for Epic-X upgrade but we will also have some of the LAST cameras eligible for Epic-X upgrades - so, clearly we will have Red Ones in our inventory until pretty much every single Epic upgrade is delivered.

The burning question in my mind is ... while I am waiting for my later cameras to be upgraded to EPICs ... can I get Mysterium X sensors into my Red Ones (prior to the completion of all the EPIC-X upgrades). If I can ... I am much more interested in this new option and obviously curious to hear details.

Regardless ... I think it's really impressive that RED is going to present another option for upgrading. It will be truly unbearable to read the inevitable posts of folks whining and complaining about ... something.
    Last edited by Mark L. Pederson; 10-19-2009 at 05:46 AM.

At the time frame for about next 6 months I can see that R1 to M-X sensor is only one real option.

We already saw that R1 M-X was used for "Esquire's Sexiest Woman Alive 2009: Video" shot by Greg Williams.

Also there is a rumor here at the forum that R1 M-X is going to be acquisition choice for David Fincher's next feature project "The Social Network".

Just in the case that Epic-X is right now ready to roll we would see that new cam in those two examples and many other upcoming productions.

More about all those details about R1 M-X upgrade and R1 to Epic-X trade in program we will get it at October 30.
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan