Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Red-RAM for Epic-X: The conundrum.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #11 Media for EPIC 
    do you have any thoughts regarding the RAM? Could it take the high data rate that we're expecting from the Epic?
    There are good reasons why we are developing "new media" options.... as EPIC can do unprecedented combinations of frame rate and resolution the existing 16GB CF, RED-DRIVE and RED-RAM media will take you far, but not the whole way.
    Workflow Wizard

Stuart: is there any good reason you couldn't make an epic module to take a 2.5" SSD like this cinedeck?

The sata connectors are reasonably robust, maybe as much or more so than a CF card.
    Attached Images
    Save the Sharks
    Red #206/Epic-X Stage2 Now shipping Epic U/W housings - accepting orders - contact us. U/W housing for REDONE - for sale or rent. Check out our new Aero3D™ mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart English View Post
    There are good reasons why we are developing "new media" options.... as EPIC can do unprecedented combinations of frame rate and resolution the existing 16GB CF, RED-DRIVE and RED-RAM media will take you far, but not the whole way.
    Cryptic Red responses! gotta love them....

I believe that answers my question, though. Thanks Stuart!

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    Stuart: is there any good reason you couldn't make an epic module to take a 2.5" SSD like this cinedeck?

The sata connectors are reasonably robust, maybe as much or more so than a CF card.
    Sata connectors are by spec rated at 50 insertion cycles.

Some sata connectors go up to 250-500 cycles, but while you can control that on the receiving side, you can't control that on the drive side.

By comparison, CF is rated at 10000 cycles.

With Epic's high bitrates, I hope you guys can come up with a more affordable storage solution. If 250/225 MB/s is an overkill, and let's say around 120MB/s is used, if I'm not mistaken with current solution it would take $9000 for a ~36 min. of recording time - which is not enough for a painless workflow.

I definitely don't want to underestimate the cost of r&d and parts or your effort. This is my major concern regarding Epic, because additional five figures for storage might be too much for us and I'm guessing for many others as well.
    "Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Banned
    If I am not mistaken, there were plans for scaled down (rather than cropped) recording modes at high frame rates. This feature could address your storage speed at high frame rates.

I was talking about high bitrates at 24/25 fps. Maybe I should have been more specific. :)

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    Jung/ Carol

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #18 REDCODE RAW codec 
    I was talking about high bitrates at 24/25 fps. Maybe I should have been more specific. :)
    Something to bear in mind when estimating media costs; unlike most video codecs used for recording, REDCODE RAW is a variable bit rate codec so there can be considerable difference between the PEAK and AVERAGE data rate.

As an example you could have a very complex scene that needs 80MB/s, but then the balance of shots only need between 30MB/s and 40MB/s.
    Workflow Wizard

Stuart, does that mean that on a non-complex scene, there isn¨t a difference between RC28, 36 and 42?

Something to bear in mind when estimating media costs; unlike most video codecs used for recording, REDCODE RAW is a variable bit rate codec so there can be considerable difference between the PEAK and AVERAGE data rate.

As an example you could have a very complex scene that needs 80MB/s, but then the balance of shots only need between 30MB/s and 40MB/s.
    Thanks Stuart. I fully understand about the VBR part, I'm just hoping that switching from average 1:10 Redcode to average 1:5 Redcode (for example) won't be a drastic step in storage cost.

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    Jung/ Carol