Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Red-RAM for Epic-X: The conundrum.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Red-RAM for Epic-X: The conundrum. 
    Like many of you, I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to say YES to the Epic-X trade-in program. 5K I can take or leave for now, until I know it'll play nicely with Final Cut and Color. 4K at 125fps? Now that's got me goosebumpy. And when 5K DOES play nicely with the above apps, then I'll want to make use of 100fps 5K as well.

The thing that has been bothering me is recording media. The Epic/Scarlet page on Red.com makes mention of high speed CF and SSD modules, but that's all I've heard (read) so far.

I've been tempted recently to invest in a Red RAM or two. The thing is- I don't want to drop that kind of money on the Red RAM unless I can use it with the Epic-X for those higher frame rates. If the RAM is only going to get me 4K/5K at 30fps, then I won't bother, I'll wait to see what the new line of media for the DSMC brings.

So, I pose this question to the SSD-savvy Redusers (or anyone from Red who feels like sharing...) what's the likelihood that the Red RAM could take 4K @ 125fps? Even 72-96 would be nice. And what about 5K?

If this has been discussed in another thread already, please point me in the right direction. My search didn't yield anything.

Cheers!

I have started a similar thread a few months ago but didn't get a clear answer. I guess that's probably because the current RED RAM will not be enough for Epic-X.
    Miltos
    www.pilalitos.com
    EPIC-X #418, RED-MX #1473

Personally, and RED wouldn't want to hear this, I would be careful about spending any big bucks until we hear more from RED on what will be upgraded, compatible, etc. Hopefully we'll hear more info soon.

I know some things are "compatible," but that doesn't mean I want them. For instance, I don't want RED Brick batteries that get one hour if I can get the handle/new battery setup that will get 4 hours. So...no buying batts right now for us.
    Owner/Editor
    Drawbridge Media, Inc.
    www.drawbridge.tv
    ---
    Drawbridge does a mix of corporate video production, spots,
    live events and post-production. We also edit shows for Discovery Networks/TLC.

Why not just shoot at 4k with more frames and better DR and less noise until they get the post sorted? What are you going to do with 5k anyway? Wait for 5k projectors?
    Ben Holmes

Edit Out Ltd
    FCP/EVS Editing
    Systems consultant
    www.editout.co.uk

Ben I think you have completely misread Ryan's post.
    stefanchristou.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Holmes View Post
    Why not just shoot at 4k with more frames and better DR and less noise until they get the post sorted? What are you going to do with 5k anyway? Wait for 5k projectors?
    Oversampling...

Quote Originally Posted by Häakon View Post
    Oversampling...
    Exactly. 5K makes a TRUE 4K when it is debayered and scaled.

If you consider that 4K after it is debayered ends up being closer about 3.2K.

4K divided by 3.2K = 1.25 ratio

What resolution do we need to start with in order to end up with 4K using the same ratio?

1.25 times 4K = 5K

At least that is how I look at it.

www.SolarSystemStudio.com/

EPIC DRAGON - SCARLET DRAGON - DJI Ronin - Proline Raven steadicam

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wild View Post
    Personally, and RED wouldn't want to hear this, I would be careful about spending any big bucks until we hear more from RED on what will be upgraded, compatible, etc. Hopefully we'll hear more info soon.

I know some things are "compatible," but that doesn't mean I want them. For instance, I don't want RED Brick batteries that get one hour if I can get the handle/new battery setup that will get 4 hours. So...no buying batts right now for us.
    Certianly the new accessories will have a different integration factor in the Epic/Scarlet ecosystem, but I'm not sure I'd assume the battery situation is as you describe.

Battery technology has not changed that radically in the last year or two. While we don't have the capacities of the new batts spec'ed out for us yet, judging by their size, I'd guess a current Red Brick is probably the equivalent of 2-3 of the Epic batts in terms of power capacity.

It's likely then that the increased runtime and/or smaller batts on the new cams has more to do with decreased power draw than anything else. I'd be willing to bet a Red Brick by itself that you may buy now is good for ~2-3 hours of runtime on an Epic.

-sc

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #9 RED-BRICK 
    don't want RED Brick batteries that get one hour if I can get the handle/new battery setup that will get 4 hours.
    One of the reasons the new generation RED batteries will last so much last longer is because the EPIC consumes a lot less power.

So therefore an existing RED-BRICK 140 battery would also provide significantly extended run times if powering an EPIC camera.

The form factor isn't a match, but you can use a RED-BRICK via V-plate and cable to camera rear, just as it's used on a RED-ONE today.

Bottom line, if you are thinking of buying a RED-BRICK 140 battery in the near future, it's still a great investment....
    Workflow Wizard

Wow, this turned into a battery discussion overnight!

While I can appreciate the over-sampling factor and the ability to create a "true" 4K debayer, the majority of my work is for Web output, and as I said, I love using Varispeed, hence my dilemma.

Stuart, do you have any thoughts regarding the RAM? Could it take the high data rate that we're expecting from the Epic?