Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RESERVATIONS UPDATE: PayPal,Serials,Tax,Etc.

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs View Post
    I've never had a problem with PayPal, but do find it odd that it's a challenge for a company such as RED to set up a CC system.
    Hey Jim. Congratulations on your RED Reservation last time around! I like the "R" avatar you've got there too!

I don't think that I would say that Credit Card processing is a challenge for Red, simply that it will take a few more days. Moreover, the amount of testing that goes into software development when it's unleashed on the scale of RED must also be considered. This is not a small project :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs View Post
    As a younger guy, I had the ability to take CC cards as a merchant before I even HAD a personal CC card. Took about 3 weeks to set up, if that... I did it to sell stock footage on line. The next time I did it in an e-commerce capacity it was even easier. I'm sure it's a bit more tricky for a larger company... but still... getting a CC system in play should be child's play compared to getting the actual camera made... :)
    Yes. No question about it. Getting the camera made is where the real action is at. Additionally, with the current state of the Internet, a ton of work goes into fraud prevention. Online fraud has skyrocked in the last 3 years and as a result there's a lot of extra work that we're all doing to minimize that fraud. We all pay for that fraud in longer lead times, more defensive application development and once in a while get stuck using our 2nd choice credit card processor for a few extra days...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Erwin View Post
    That said, the PayPal system does work pretty well for people with existing PayPal accounts. We'll continue to preserve PayPal as a checkout option for these people.
    So does that mean that people can pay the remaining about for their reservation through PayPal when their camera ships?
    Tony Lorentzen, Kinema Follow me on Twitter: kinemadk
    Cinematographer, owner of RED Epic Dragon #420

3.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by tlorenzo View Post
    So does that mean that people can pay the remaining about for their reservation through PayPal when their camera ships?
    Payment processing is all about doing what's best for our customers. For a lot of people, PayPal is a great way to pay, especially if it's connected in to your bank account. Don't forget though. Everything at RED is under development. Everything is subject to change.

If there is anything else you would like to see to help make payment processing happen more smoothly please let me know.

-R

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate your cheery attitude... no one is ever very happy with "the money guy".

I don't have a dog in this fight, so to speak, other than throughout 2007 you'll be getting $30,000+ from me. This assures that I will give you at LEAST the amount of scrutiny and crits that I give, say, the motor company I bought my car from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Erwin View Post
    I don't think that I would say that Credit Card processing is a challenge for Red, simply that it will take a few more days. Moreover, the amount of testing that goes into software development when it's unleashed on the scale of RED must also be considered. This is not a small project :-)
    I cut little slack for you guys in this area. Setting up for e-commerce is easy to do today. If it takes a little longer to get all the ducks in a row, then you do it. If you need to hire an outside company for a few grand to set you up and do Q&A, mock registrations, etc. then you do it. You don't open until it's ready. You simply don't mess with people's money, or create a sense of un-ease.

You're right, RED, as a concept, is not a small project. But it IS from an e-commerce point of view. You're selling (currently) A.) decals/stickers B.) reservations. And with this batch of reservations, you don't even have to ship a physical product back to the customer...

Regards,
    Jim Arthurs

Hi guys,

Just talked to Kelly and I have been taken care of concerning my reservations for the lenses. Kelly rocks! Ryan, she is going to shoot you an e-mail about my place in line and the specifics. I just want to thank you both for taking the worry out of the process for me and following through with everything you said.

Cheers Guys,

Andrew

Ordered over 24 hrs ago...
    I had no trouble with PayPal
    Sent an e-mail with PayPal info...
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by Red Guy View Post
    ??
    same here, no news

Quote Originally Posted by zuvis View Post
    same here, no news
    I wonder how many are getting in this round???
    Maybe another 1500-2000....
    Might be awhile before we see some daylight...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Guy View Post
    ??
    I just got the confirmation for mine as well. I got a friend to do it for me and he had no problems at all.

i have my paypal confirmation for 2 red cams, 2 300 mm lenses and 2 zoom lenses .... no reservation numbers yet but paypal was a breeze. wonder how long it will be before we see these things. we just bought two hvx200's with matte boxes etc. when the reds come in to the studio here and are tested and good to go these hvx200's will be for sale with firestores - cheap.