Thread: Redrushes + ProRes = Black Quicktime

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Redrushes + ProRes = Black Quicktime 
    When export out using ProRes or ProResHQ from RedRushes, it just creates black quicktime movies, with the correct number of frames. Other codecs work fine. I tried downloading ProRes quicktime decoder, but it says I already have a newer version installed. Any help? (I do not have FCP or FCXpress installed on this machine)

The decoder only DECODES Prores - Quicktime Components for prores are only available if you have Final Cut installed.

So a black screen is what would be expected.

Ahh, so when I choose ProRes from redrushes, what codec is it actually using then to encode? If it were NO codec, the quicktimes show display fine, right?

Craig is right, you need FCP installed to write a prores file. I did the same thing once and had the same result. Strange that it shows up as an option, but that's the way it goes.

My guess is it's all in there, but FCP adds a final hook to make it work. This would explain why it comes out black.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhare View Post
    Craig is right, you need FCP installed to write a prores file. I did the same thing once and had the same result. Strange that it shows up as an option, but that's the way it goes.

My guess is it's all in there, but FCP adds a final hook to make it work. This would explain why it comes out black.
    Bah... kind of annoying, but okay. thanks for the help!