Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED Price

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hello guys,

Thanks for all the inputs. I guess I will follow Rob's advice and make a reservation.

Thank you all once again.

Yeah, I'm with Dominic on this one... But I also see where a lot of people are coming from with the higher budget estimates. My RED camera budget looks identical to Dominic's... Body, 2 * RED Drive, Batteries, Nikon mount. Although, don't forget to figure tax into all that budget - most of us in the world have to pay the tax sooner or later.

My budget is higher - as I have mentioned, but not because it needs to be. There's several things I want to also buy/build to go along with RED so I can try and make full use of its abilities.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by AppliedVisual View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Dominic on this one...
    That's nice to know Jeff! Have you got your res# yet?!

But I also see where a lot of people are coming from with the higher budget estimates.
    Yup, if you've not got a working setup it'll be a lot more expensive, or of course there are those ordering RED lenses as well, and if you start to put cage's and gun's and all sorts of other odds-n-sods into the mix then you'll definitely be able to spend a whole lot, if you feel like it!...

Although, don't forget to figure tax into all that budget - most of us in the world have to pay the tax sooner or later.
    VAT registered, baby, no problems here! When I take tax into account on it, I'll save 25% on my corporation tax... :)

What about the EVF ?
    Are you gonna skip it ?
    This may ad-up an extra 1000$

Yours Emmanuel
    ecmp media production / Red Epic-X #457 / Red One Cameras MX #1276 & #6585 / Optimo 24-290 / 2 x Ruby 14-24 Zooms / 2 x Red Pro Primes / 2 x Red Pro 300mm / 2 x O'Connor 2575 D
    www.ecmp-prod.com

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel Cambier View Post
    What about the EVF ?
    Are you gonna skip it ?
    This may ad-up an extra 1000$

Yours Emmanuel

EVF - I'm considering one. I haven't budgeted one in because I honestly don't know what price to expect. EVF units from Sony/Panasonic are $9K to $15K for their top of the line. The LCD that *should* come with RED One will show all the same information and if the EVF option is another few thousand $$, then I'll just make sure I have a good LCD hood. If in fact they offer good 720p (or similar) EVF for as little as $1K, then I'll buy it.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Jones View Post
    That's nice to know Jeff! Have you got your res# yet?!

No... ?

- Jeff Kilgroe

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Jones View Post

VAT registered, baby, no problems here! When I take tax into account on it, I'll save 25% on my corporation tax... :)
    Dominic,

Remember there is import duty in addition to VAT.

Stephen
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

40k for an operational red? NO!
    17.5 for body. comes with a flash drive. and body and lcd...
    skip the lcd.. lower the cost for an evf..
    ur still looking at 20-21k

own your own nikkon lens set.. if not.. buy a used set from a used camera store = 1000
    now your at 22k

lighting? most pro dps rent lighting so thats pointless

sound? thats what a sound guy is for

if you want higher quality lenses go rent. i found a place that rents zeiss superspeeds for 75 a day.

theres no reason to build up your camera because you think thats what you need to do. once the money starts rolling in then go ahead and buy the larger storage, batteries, cage, new lenses.. whatever.. putting another 20k on top of the red price is not nessesary

Quote Originally Posted by zakaree View Post
    40k for an operational red? NO!
    17.5 for body. comes with a flash drive. and body and lcd...
    skip the lcd.. lower the cost for an evf..
    ur still looking at 20-21k

own your own nikkon lens set.. if not.. buy a used set from a used camera store = 1000
    now your at 22k

lighting? most pro dps rent lighting so thats pointless

sound? thats what a sound guy is for

if you want higher quality lenses go rent. i found a place that rents zeiss superspeeds for 75 a day.

theres no reason to build up your camera because you think thats what you need to do. once the money starts rolling in then go ahead and buy the larger storage, batteries, cage, new lenses.. whatever.. putting another 20k on top of the red price is not nessesary

Hi,

Follow focus, matte box, fluid head & extra batteries could easily add $10-15,000.
    If you really want lenses to get the best out of your 4K camera you should budget $100,000 plus, thats why many people rent.

Stephen
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post
    Dominic,

Remember there is import duty in addition to VAT.

Stephen
    Yes I know, thanks Stephen - that one you've just gotta take on the chin, but it's usually very low in relation to the VAT, so you get the majority (in my experience around 75%) back...

There's all the different brackets for import duty though, so it's always a bit of a lottery how it gets classified. I've bought camera equipment and accessories, but not an actual camera, from the states - so maybe I'm in for more of a shock with a camera - do you happen to have any idea if the import duty is significantly higher for cameras than for accessories?