Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED Price

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 RED Price 
    Hello folks,

Will the price of the Red camera be likely to change?
    I dont remember where I read it, but I know there was someone that mentioned in a thread.
    Should I make my reservation now, or leave it for a later time?
    I am not going to use it so soon, so I want to get it around September/October.

Thanks in advance,

Fidel.

if you put in a reservation now, you'll be lucky to get it by september/october. At least that's my understanding of the release and production timing thus far... Of course, like everything else (and possibly the price too), it is subject to change. ...count on it.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

cross-examiner
    Tó, welcome! (Bem-vindo!)

Glad to hear news from you! Yes, there will be a fair possibility concerning a potential increase of the price. Who knows? I second the wise Jeff's words.

1 Abraço,
    Emanuel
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

That's one of the biggest concerns with the Red system: there are a lot of uncertain things (date availability, full system price, lens options, ...) And as Jim seems to be very marketing-wise (for instance the stickers thing, the reservation thing, the hype thing), I suppose they won't keep the price constant. Probably an increase, unless there are other competitors. Don't forget you'll have to double at least the $17,500 price to be able to shoot something pro (lenses, lighting package, mics, editing workstation, etc...)

Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by kstewart View Post
    Don't forget you'll have to double at least the $17,500 price to be able to shoot something pro (lenses, lighting package, mics, editing workstation, etc...)
    Absolutely. Hopefully everyone with a reservation # is aware of that. I'm hovering between $40K and $50K on my guesstimation of my complete RED system and I'm planning on using Nikkor lenses I already own to start out with. A new editing workstation or two and additional drive storage / RAID nodes really shoot the price up. I need new mics, some more lighting equipment and I'm going to do Chromatte fabric or something to construct a decent green screen.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Don't forget you'll have to double at least the $17,500 price to be able to shoot something pro (lenses, lighting package, mics, editing workstation, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by AppliedVisual View Post
    Absolutely. Hopefully everyone with a reservation # is aware of that. I'm hovering between $40K and $50K..
    I´m aware of additional cost, but I will try to keep all costs as down as possible, [ lights I´ll rent, mics and workstation I already have, not brand new but it´ll have to do. ] I think it is possible to have bone-slim package with under 20k as 40k for me is not an option.

kristin, welcome girl!.. i didn't know you from DVXuser..

me likes gals.. especially smart ones.. you're a fresh nouvelle for these posts..

me hates hecklers.. but don't like asskissers either.. and here you can find a lot who are saying that are always happy with any food brought at our table.. :p whatever the food smells.. ;)

That's one of the biggest concerns with the Red system: there are a lot of uncertain things (date availability, full system price, lens options, ...) And as Jim seems to be very marketing-wise (for instance the stickers thing, the reservation thing, the hype thing), I suppose they won't keep the price constant. Probably an increase, unless there are other competitors. Don't forget you'll have to double at least the $17,500 price to be able to shoot something pro (lenses, lighting package, mics, editing workstation, etc...)

Kristin
    "The BBC alow the EX1/3 to be used on SD productions, the 5D is not considered aceptable to the BBC for SD Production"

the most funny post ever is courtesy of gang's good friend.. mr Williams.. old stephen
    ###.com forums
    on Oct 30 2009

link to gang's former avatar

8.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #8  
    If you can afford to buy the camera why not put down a reservation? You can always cancel it if things change in a way you don't like etc. But with a reservation you have a guaranteed price and you'll have a clearer picture when you'll get the camera (you'll see when people before you get theirs).
    ROBCODE Santa Claus @ RED

"You get the chicken by waiting for the egg to hatch, not by smashing it with a hammer" - Jarred

I think 20k for an operational RED-ONE package is pushing it VERY hard. We're not in DV-land anymore, people. The cost of a usable tripod alone puts you over the edge. Then there's $1k for RED-DRIVE, some nauseating sum for the lenses (Cine 10k, Nikkor 3k)...you get the general picture.

This is a question of whether you're a first-time camera buyer or not - it's meaningless to talk about tripods, mics, lights etc unless we're talking about building a complete shooting package from scratch, which I doubt many are with a camera of this quality and price point (excellent value though it is, you could still get 3 or 4 Z1's, for instance, for the same price).

I'm looking at about $21k, I think - of course that depends a little on exact prices, but we've already got a rod system, follow focus, mattebox, shoulder mount, enough lights for a basic shoot, tripod, mics, mixer, and a very good set of Nikkor primes...

So the kit for me becomes:
    Red One body - $17.5k
    2x RedDrive digital mags - $2k
    Additional Nikon F mount - $??, but I'd guess around $200-300, maybe a little more
    A couple of spare batteries - again $??, but let's say no more than $500
    and I think I'll probably add a top-mountable handle - what, $150 or so at a guestimate?

That lot adds up to about $20,500, so with a little breathing room and some shipping, I think I'm fairly safe on $21k...

So like I say, unless you've not got *any* camera kit, a basic rig could be done quite cheaply, imo - maybe $23k if you've got no lenses, and are happy to use SLR glass when you've not got the budget to hire PL mount lenses for a given project.

Of course, it depends what your criteria are and what you want to do with it...