Thread: Hackintosh

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I meant software related.

My first Hackintosh I built in 2005 as a test when I was thinking about shooting a film on Andromeda. As simple as making sure the hardware matched or came close to the original Intel spec as possible. Now its really simple to build these systems. Why do it? Everything I own is hacked in some way. From my car, to my cameras. For computers, its a no brainer for me. I'm obsessive about building them and spend countless hours testing, benchmarking, overclocking, managing heat vs noise, and comparing stability vs speed. While doing this certainly isn't for everyone, I'm glad there is the freedom now to run the Mac OS on custom computers.

If you want a fully functioning Mac with all drivers and functionality supported, then a hackintosh is not for you. If you're running a business, a hackintosh is probably not for you. If you're not particularly tech-savvy, a hackintosh is probably not for you.

Some people build hackintoshes to save money on a Mac. Others do it to "stick it to the man." Still others do it for the challenge, or because they have $200 lying around for OSX and want to play around with another operating system. Others do it to have an OSX partition on their otherwise primarily Windows system (running MacDrive), enabling very quick cross-platform work.

Is it perfect? No. Is it for everyone? No. Is it doable with a reasonable amount of homework? Absolutely. Is it worth it? Depends on your situation.

I am not happy with Apple's Hardware, plain and simple. Like I said before If you understand how Mac OSX works, this kind of thing is a piece of Cake. I use the Hardware that works best, That's why Its reliable. I dont go installing it on some random computer or big Server and then wonder why it doesn't work... Duh...

The Main reasons to run this are within Customization, But this all comes at a Price... Being knowledgeable enough to build your own computers and troubleshoot them. When I buy hardware, I usually spend a Day and a 1/2 installing and building, then creating an image to automatically restore an OS <--- in the event something actually happens. Installing this is not as hard as it used to be, and is no longer outside the realm of Building a PC or setting up a computer in general. But you still have to be tech-savvy, I always say if you can read your motherboard manual and build the computer this is a piece of cake,

Here are my reasons,

•ANY operating system,
    •Rackmount,
    •GPU freedom,
    •Watercooling,
    •Expandability,
    •Simple upgrades (instead of a whole new computer)
    •Cheaper Quality Parts,
    •Motherboards that match your needs,
    •Legacy Hardware, (if you need it, I dont really)
    •Bios control,
    •Overclocking
    •Stability in Harsh conditions
    •5 year Hardware warranty on most items, (Especially Motherboards, I use ASUS)
    •Apple sucks at Hardware, (They want an Arm and a Leg to repair something they get a 5 year warranty on from intel...)

To me, there IS no difference other than the Gucci case and the Apple Logo on the side.

And I'm with you all, THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE...
    IATSE 600 DIT
    Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
    Phantom / Sony F65/55/35/23 / Arri Alexa - Codex / Red Epic

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Carr View Post
    Vanilla installs have been working since Leopard.

If you can stick a disc in, and then read your motherboard manual, then yes you can install this.
    Leopard hasn't been out for three years. So of course it's not cake walk. Nor is the concept of using EXACT hardware to build a system.

The only thing I can agree with you on the idea of a "hackintosh" is that it's not for everyone and I would never ever recommend it to any professional environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
    Yeah this is insanity for a RED system- you're paying 17,500 for the camera body alone and you're looking to save a couple grand getting a Mac with no warranty, no tech support and mountain of potential conflicts and bugs to go with it. Why?

Noah
    because a lot of guys already spent a goooood part in the 17500 cake.. a lot of others do not offer commer$ial work just ArT..
    is it so hard to figure? :long sigh:
    "The BBC alow the EX1/3 to be used on SD productions, the 5D is not considered aceptable to the BBC for SD Production"

the most funny post ever is courtesy of gang's good friend.. mr Williams.. old stephen
    ###.com forums
    on Oct 30 2009

link to gang's former avatar

Sure if you love to tinker, want to save some money, and are not afraid of having no Applecare tech support- then hackintosh might be for you. Frankly I don't see anyone in a work for hire production environment going for this.

What do you tell the client when it craps the bed? Well it's a hackintosh and we saved some money..... er... oops. Please hire us for your next show.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ward View Post
    I meant software related.
    Must not be talking about FCP. I've had to flush the settings and fix FCP installs more than any editor I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    Must not be talking about FCP. I've had to flush the settings and fix FCP installs more than any editor I've ever used.
    That sucks. So maybe I should use some other Nonlinear Editing Software for Apple OS. Was the problem with updates or something else?

10. #30 ?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Leopard hasn't been out for three years. So of course it's not cake walk. Nor is the concept of using EXACT hardware to build a system.
    Tiger was running on PC's in 2005 three months before January 14th 2006, when Apple started selling the first Macbook Pro. Vanilla installs were popping up in March+April 2008. How much different do you actually think Tiger and Leopard are??

I dont want exact hardware anyway, Thats the whole point!
    IATSE 600 DIT
    Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
    Phantom / Sony F65/55/35/23 / Arri Alexa - Codex / Red Epic