Thread: Hackintosh

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Carr View Post
    Vanilla installs have been working since Leopard.

If you can stick a disc in, and then read your motherboard manual, then yes you can install this.
    Then you should go into business where people like psystar have failed.... they still need to supply updated drivers. I did the hackintosh thing for a bit. It worth every penny for the real thing.

-Josh

Updated Drivers For what??? I dont want to be tech support for people who dont understand their computers.\

BTW, Psystar didnt fail. They exploited a weakness in Apple's EULA agreement.
    IATSE 600 DIT
    Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
    Phantom / Sony F65/55/35/23 / Arri Alexa - Codex / Red Epic

Updated Drivers For what??? I dont want to be tech support for people who dont understand their computers.\

BTW, Psystar didnt fail. They exploited a weakness in Apple's EULA agreement.
    By fail I'm talking about their apparent lack of OSX prowess. As you said, if they really knew OSX they wouldn't need drivers.

-Josh

Thats what I mean, there are no more Drivers. The bootloader acts as an EFI layer and communicates directly to the Hardware.

I will agree with everyone here that HacPro's are not for everyone, It takes some research and understanding. I was always interested in how Mac OSX works, I build Machnes to Mimic real Macs/

They are not necessarliy that much cheaper. if you go for Cheap it wont run that well...Anybody will tell you that. Thats no longer the reason I run them. Its about Customization, and freedom of GPU's.
    IATSE 600 DIT
    Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
    Phantom / Sony F65/55/35/23 / Arri Alexa - Codex / Red Epic

Thats what I mean, there are no more Drivers. The bootloader acts as an EFI layer and communicates directly to the Hardware.

I will agree with everyone here that HacPro's are not for everyone, It takes some research and understanding. I was always interested in how Mac OSX works, I build Machnes to Mimic real Macs/

They are not necessarliy that much cheaper. if you go for Cheap it wont run that well...Anybody will tell you that. Thats no longer the reason I run them. Its about Customization, and freedom of GPU's.
    What do you mean? How difficult is the job for a newbie and average user?
    ________
    Crosman pro77 2 extra clips

Now if it's only for customization I can totally see that. But I would never reccommend someone trying to implement a hackpro into their business. It's not cost effective to fiddle with them.

-Josh

7. #17 hackintosh only as a last resort 
    My first question would be, why are you looking into the hackintosh route?

If it's just to save money, I think you'll only end up creating more headaches for yourself in the end. Yes, the price difference between Mac and PC is appalling, but I'd say get a night job bar tending for a month, save up an extra $2,000, and get a real Mac Pro.

If it's for other reasons, let us know what they are.

For instance, we've currently got a project that exists in both Final Cut and Premiere. I prefer my PC system, but I need to be able to work in Final Cut. I'd rather not have an entire extra system just to be able to take a look at that Final Cut project, so I started looking into hackintosh.

After speaking to a LOT of people whom I consider experts in the field, I finally ran screaming in the other direction. Hackintosh just seemed like there were far too many pitfalls to consider it a viable option for a Video Editing machine.

If you're just screwing around with Mac on a PC machine, that's one thing, but if you're using it as a serious tool, I'd look for other options.

Yeah this is insanity for a RED system- you're paying 17,500 for the camera body alone and you're looking to save a couple grand getting a Mac with no warranty, no tech support and mountain of potential conflicts and bugs to go with it. Why?

Noah

I hate spending time to fix or maintain my PC, once I get more $, I will get an Apple. Thanks guys for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ward View Post
    I hate spending time to fix or maintain my PC, once I get more $, I will get an Apple. Thanks guys for the input.
    You think you won't have to fix or maintain your Apple? The only difference is it costs more to fix and maintain!