Thread: Hackintosh

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ward View Post
    That sucks. So maybe I should use some other Nonlinear Editing Software for Apple OS. Was the problem with updates or something else?
    You can give them all a run for their money. But as I like to say:

Maya regularly crashes on OSX, Windows and Linux as does 3ds max and XSI. :)

FCP was more crashy for me than Avid MC or Premiere but it's been more than a year so my specific issues may have been corrected.

It doesn't really matter what platform or software you run it's probably going to be crashy and buggy. It's just a question of which bugs and which crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
    Sure if you love to tinker, want to save some money, and are not afraid of having no Applecare tech support- then hackintosh might be for you. Frankly I don't see anyone in a work for hire production environment going for this.

What do you tell the client when it craps the bed? Well it's a hackintosh and we saved some money..... er... oops. Please hire us for your next show.
    ehehehehe well pointed.. the only difference is that the gang as any artists gang is used to sell the own shows loooooooool how me loves that word!! the show ehehehehe where are we now?? jannard's show.. sorry boss.. couldn't resist
    "The BBC alow the EX1/3 to be used on SD productions, the 5D is not considered aceptable to the BBC for SD Production"

the most funny post ever is courtesy of gang's good friend.. mr Williams.. old stephen
    ###.com forums
    on Oct 30 2009

link to gang's former avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Carr View Post
    •Apple sucks at Hardware, (They want an Arm and a Leg to repair something they get a 5 year warranty on from intel...)

So you mean the warranty and repair services on the hardware, not the actual hardware? Becausse Apple doesn't build or assemble any of their own hardware, it's all OEM or off-the-shelf stuff from other manufactures, and is usually assembled by a third-party; they just charge more for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McCarrick View Post
    Becausse Apple doesn't build or assemble any of their own hardware, it's all OEM or off-the-shelf stuff from other manufactures, and is usually assembled by a third-party...
    I thought the BTO Mac Pros were assembled in Cali?
    ________
    Vaporizing health

I'm wondering what happened to this post:
    Posted by: (name withheld to protect the innocent)
    On: 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

hello,
    here in europe pearc.de is THE source of hardware that runs osx (preinstalled, 2 years warranty). look at https://www.pearc.de/professional-line.html
    that one comes with intel core i7 which is, lets say, slightly faster than 'nethalem'. in germany it's legal to order and posess.
    cheerio!
    That's some EXTREMELY interesting (and valuable) information. I have a friend lamenting the fact that if he buys a Mac Pro he can only have 3 PCIe slots (one is automatically taken up by a video card). If you want multiple monitors or a dual-slot vid card, there goes another. Sound card? There's another. RAID? There's the fourth. Anything else? Too bad, you're out of slots!

Ridiculous.

Also, a Mac OSX system utilizing i7? That's extremely interesting.

The author of that post deleted it himself... But one nitpick about his statement regarding i7 and Nehalem... They're the same thing. "Nehalem" is the development name for the i7-based Xeon CPUs currently on the market. The desktop Core i7 CPUs are "Bloomfield" and "Bloomfield Extreme".

As for pre-built Hackintosh systems. They're not "illegal". But they violate the EULA that Apple sets forth for their Mac OS software. Apple has gone after a couple clone system providers, like Psystar, but in the end I don't think it's in Apple's best interest to do so, and I'm guessing they don't think so either. Otherwise they would be all over it, even in Germany, where their EULA is recognized by the German courts and IP / Trademark laws.

To reflect the sentiments of others in this thread, I wouldn't consider using a "hackintosh" system in a pro environment. And hardware selection is limited, when assembling such a system, we're restricted to using hardware that has appropriate drivers for OSX.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

& that thread deleted today??
    surely it was not the author himself
    "The BBC alow the EX1/3 to be used on SD productions, the 5D is not considered aceptable to the BBC for SD Production"

the most funny post ever is courtesy of gang's good friend.. mr Williams.. old stephen
    ###.com forums
    on Oct 30 2009

link to gang's former avatar