Thread: Looking for a high def lcd monitor

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Looking for a high def lcd monitor 
    I'm looking for a small portable monitor that will be compatible with the RED when we upgrade later this year. We're looking for a pretty compact setup, something that travels well, so really a small monitor. I have seen some of Marshall's monitors and Panasonic's monitors, but is there anything out there that doesn't cost $2000 or more? How much is that new RED monitor going to be?

Not sure how it works with the RED, but for $199 ... you can always eBay it when you upgrade.

http://www.lcd4video.com/servlet/the...tor-Kit/Detail

They seem to be decent guys with a real warehouse out here near Detroit.
    Said there's no problem to stop by and check out the gear before buying.

http://smallhd.com/

We had this unit for a week or 10 days and so far it seems great. It is about 9" however which may or may not be called really small.

Senior Member christopher witzke's Avatar
    what a higher price will get you is better daylight viewing....

I really like the nebtek... @ $1500-1900

but.... today I finally had a chance to see the new 11" oled tv by Sony..... WOW!
    but... it's $2500 ( all 3mm thick of it ) I want one!

I've seen the smallhd. They look pretty nice and I have heard some good things about them.

I saw this posted on another forum somewhere:

http://www.hannahdigital.com

5.6", 1280x720, $599?
    And Pro Battery Options?

Does anyone know anything about these?

So I emailed them and asked about the features and specs yesterday via the link on their website. I was responded to promptly with this:

Quote Originally Posted by www.hannahdigital.com

Hi Steve,

Here’s a preliminary (but pretty accurate) list of specifications:

Physical:
    5.6”
    1280x768
    300 cd/m2, 800 cd/m2 on the high bright version
    500:1 Contrast
    LED Backlight
    Full anodized aluminum body including bezel (No plastic at all)
    Slim, streamlined design

HDMI
    HD Component
    S-Video
    Composite
    4-Pin Power Input
    Completely recessed inputs

Menu Features
    Up and down scaling to fit input to panel resolution.
    Brightness
    Contrast
    Saturation
    Hue
    Frequency
    Phase
    Color temperature
    Image position
    Hue
    Gamma

Auto picture setup
    Auto RGB calibration
    Auto source seek
    OSD timeout
    OSD position
    input source select
    OSD menu lock
    Direct key for input source switching
    Manual Positioning

Custom options:
    Anton Bauer or IDX battery Mount
    Choice of BNC or RCA Inputs
    Custom Colors

Regular Brightness Panel: $599 Intro Price, $649 Regular
    High Brightness Panel: $999 Intro Price, $1099 Regular

We are also developing a HD-SDI solution.

We have other units coming out shortly too. We’ll be offering an 8.9” 1280x768, 300 cd/m2 and a 1000 cd/m2 version. 2 versions of each, one with the same controller specifications as the 5.6", one with HD-SDI, Image flip, blue gun and other advanced features. The regular brightness version should be $599 with HDMI, $999 with HD-SDI for intro prices.

Also a 15.4” full 1920x1080 Director’s monitor, one with HDMI for under $400, one with HD-SDI for under $1000.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know.

Thanks
    Kit

Kit Hannah
    HannaHDigital
    Looks like they will be pretty competitive with features and price. I'm interested to see their design. I hope they don't have the inputs coming off the top. The side or the bottom is much better IMO. Specs wise, it looks pretty good to me, but it will be interesting to see how it compares to the others out there. And they say that they're coming out with an 8.9" for $599? Isn't that $200 less than the smallhd? Or one with HD-SDI for only $999?

Very interesting.

7. #7 overscan and batteries issue on smallHD 
    we've had serious issues already with the batteries on the SmallHD as we bought two to do a rotation and thus have power all day. One has died after barely a week of working, it will not hold a charge at all. and we are unable to shoot all day any more on the single battery. But even when it was working correctly they would die in the middle of shots, made extra work for camera assistants, and got me a dirty looks by a pissed DOP.
    I wanted to just use this as the sole monitor but have twice had to pull out a red LCD to cover these issues, and had one person tell me they will not use it until the power issue is solved.
    If I was to buy this again knowing what i know now the 12 v into red power cable is the deal breaker. once that is done this will be a great unit in terms of its power usage.

second the overscan. I got the numbers to input from a SmallHD rep but only half of the needed info showed up. Ive emailed dale here and at small HD and have yet to hear back on that. I found this strange as when I asked the first time he was prompt in getting back to me, but once we have those number or if some else does please post and i will do that if i get those numbers first.
    what this means is that with the correct over scan numbers you can see all red camera data including histro, and other info.
    better yet would be a tutorial on a red camera set up on their site as I'm sure red users are going to be a large customer base once these issues have been addressed.
    Lastly, let me say i like the monitor but can't recommend it until these are addressed. Once these issues are addressed i would give a full endorsement.
    [Red] RED ONE camera [Blue] SI 2k "Godzilla" SI 2k mini "Mothra" [Green] Canon mk II "Mechazilla"

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Looks like they will be pretty competitive with features and price. I'm interested to see their design. I hope they don't have the inputs coming off the top. The side or the bottom is much better IMO. Specs wise, it looks pretty good to me, but it will be interesting to see how it compares to the others out there. And they say that they're coming out with an 8.9" for $599?

Very interesting.
    Hi Steve,
    We think they'll be ultra competitive. To answer some more of your questions, the inputs will be coming from the bottom rather than the top, although this is customizeable. Some people may prefer to have them on the top for one reason or another and we can make it either way. Your choice. Depending on your configuration of inputs, side mounting "may" be necessary since this is such a small package and all of the inputs will be recessed. You'll also have the option of BNC or RCA. That was one of the big complaints about a lot of monitors out there, the inputs were only BNC or only RCA. Now you can pick what you want when you order it at no additional cost.

It is true that we do have a $599 pre-sale starting August 15th ($649 regular). We may even offer a coupon to users who are on our mailing list, or that belong to great forums such as REDUser and DVXUser. Definitely quality information in these parts.

Anyways, if you guys have questions, let me know. You can email us or post questions, but we're going to be very "to the point" in the forums.

Thanks
    Kit