Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: what does sony, panasonic say about red!!

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kenny View Post
    I don't think this would be a major problem for them. They'd could stick PV mounts on their Reds and make a few other modifications, and rent them in the same price range as the Genesis. Their customers wouldn't even blink.
    Certainly the PV mount would be an attractive addition to the Red. If Panavision did go that way it would go some way to giving the camera a production stamp of approval.

It would help us all in fact. "Yes it's the same camera as rented by Panavision except with a PL mount"

Really depends how much Panavision have invested in making the Genesis 'The' camera for digital cinema. Would they want to detract from their own house brand?

Not to hijack the thread, but it is more a matter of WHEN than IF, in regards to Panavision "Panavising" the Red camera. This could open up some very cool lens options for productions that wish to rent the "panavised" Red.
    Red#856

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fostvedt View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but it is more a matter of WHEN than IF, in regards to Panavision "Panavising" the Red camera. This could open up some very cool lens options for productions that wish to rent the "panavised" Red.
    Or simply a third party providing a PV lens mount for the Red and productions hiring Panavision glass.

500 a day for red sounds a little low.. (from a owner/renter view).. my package will be fully done up.. follow focus. matte box. filter set. efv..the works.. i dont think i would settle for 500.. not when im trying to pay this thing off and make money for myself.

also side note.. even if panavision just made a pv mount and attatched it.. how hard would it be for any guy with machine equipment to duplicate this mount. then basically anyone could have a panavised red and use their lenses

edit. sorry didnt see the post right above me...

Quote Originally Posted by zakaree View Post
    500 a day for red sounds a little low.. (from a owner/renter view).. my package will be fully done up.. follow focus. matte box. filter set. efv..the works.. i dont think i would settle for 500.. not when im trying to pay this thing off and make money for myself.
    $500/day sounds reasonable for the body. An entire package, obviously, is going to rent for a lot more.
    DI Workflow, Nice Dissolve. You should follow me on Twitter here.

I think they're in denial regarding RED. They don't believe it's really going to happen, when it does, then they'll start figuring out what to do about it.

Their attitude, in the words of Scarlett O'Hara: "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kenny View Post
    $500/day sounds reasonable for the body. An entire package, obviously, is going to rent for a lot more.

I think it would be rare to rent just the body. A lot of the time a few acc. would go along with the body. Look at the daily rent on a HVX and that is a camera worth less then a third of a Red body. I would think $750 to $1,000 a day would not be anywhere out of range. That said a I would only charge rent for shooting days so with a 1 day commercial or music vid you still would need to let them have the camera for a prep day and a return day after the shoot so 1 days rental ties up the camera for 3 days. So situation like that I would probably base a rental as $1,000 for a one day shoot situation and fairly move that price down depending on the # of days rented.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    Or simply a third party providing a PV lens mount for the Red and productions hiring Panavision glass.
    Panavision Flange=56mm
    PL Flange=52mm

Flange depth is fairly easy to change, adding 4mm. I believe the Panavision lensport is wider in diameter, thus you would have to fabricate an entire mount. Possible for sure. Guide pins would be an easy change. Could be cool to have the option to buy a third party BNCR mount for the RED. I wonder if Panavision would rent just lenses?
    Red#856

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fostvedt View Post
    Panavision Flange=56mm
    PL Flange=52mm

Flange depth is fairly easy to change, adding 4mm. I believe the Panavision lensport is wider in diameter, thus you would have to fabricate an entire mount. Possible for sure. Guide pins would be an easy change. Could be cool to have the option to buy a third party BNCR mount for the RED. I wonder if Panavision would rent just lenses?
    im pretty sure they would

imho... the big elephants are too deep w/ layers & layers of suits to concern themselves currently w/ such a single minded shark as red.

the big co's are silos of diff. divisions which fight amongst each other under the ol' brand umbrella.

sure some of the product guys @ those co's are watching & may simply try & buy red... or copy...
    richdahl.com click on b of a stills to see works