Thread: SALT Results... (Part 1, Results)

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Brook summed it up best, I was an RPP buyer before the test and am still an RPP buyer now. Thanks to all for doing the hard lifting.

Thank you Matthew I did read your review but are you completely sure that U are not forgetting something?

David Mullen, you are a champion in my eyes and you always cut straight through the bull. Every post you make should be put in a book; thank you for your involvement in this test.

Fair, well-balanced and well-written. Generally matches what we have tested, minus other tests we've also performed. Certainly a solid primer and the volumes of data that will follow should appease most.
    Mitch Gross
    Director of Communications
    Convergent-Design

Thanks a lot guys for your experience, time and will to share the results.
    Wished those nasty MPs showed up.

Thanks for clearing away that hype about the RPPs. Now I'm really feeling pretty comfortable in getting my first own set of glass that compares pretty well to other more expensive brands.
    Leif Thomas
    - DIT -
    Epic M, Epic X & Red One MX rental

http://www.welldone.tv

I would like to thank David for being so honest about his knowledge (or lack thereof) of lenses. It's a refreshing statement here where sometimes you get the idea that being a DP is all about lenses, while in reality lenses are a small piece of what makes the image.

6. #26 Thanks and a question 
    Thank you fine folks for all your hard work.

This was super helpful.

Like many on the thread, I've got a set of RPP's on order. After seeing them in Vegas, I decided they were good enough that they removed the final fiscal obstacle gating a Red One purchase, and I'm in process now.(I should take delivery sometime next week, whoo hoo!)

I'm a little bummed about the follow focus thing, but I'm very happy that my opinion wasn't totally off the mark, and that they do represent the kind of value proposition that they appeared to.

Given the lack of a shorter prime, I'd been leaning heavily toward the short Optimo Rouge zoom anyway. (I talked to Able this week) but would like feedback on the viability of mixing RPP's and the Rouge's as a matter of course.

Any opinion about the warm color cast being something that could be easily managed in a primary correction on set (think keeping a client / director happy) or in post would be greatly valued. Or are the differences sufficient that they are going to require some significant work?

BTW I'm one of those odd balls that actually like zooms, and chose the primes due to image quality, and speed, as well as the aforementioned cost factor. I don't have a deep seeded need to own a set of primes I just want a set of tools that cover a sufficient focal range.

Thanks again, and all the best,

Stephen

Speaking as the designer of Focus Optic's Ruby, Stuart and I appreciated Evin's feedback as a end user (and John Ryans) while we were working on the production version. And that was free advice he was giving us, he was not a paid consultant (Stuart could back me up on that, Focus is his company).
    I have been designing production equipment for thirty years, and I have attained my level of expertise by talking to AC's, operators and DP's over the years. I could not to this without their feedback. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif Thomas View Post
    Thanks for clearing away that hype about the RPPs. Now I'm really feeling pretty comfortable in getting my first own set of glass that compares pretty well to other more expensive brands.
    I would say that optically the RPP's tended towards the front of the pack and when behind were not far behind. They had a bit more CA than the Ultra's. Physical design wise there are some small, but still frustrating issues, but you can get over those pretty easily when you think of all the money you are saving.

I'm an expectant RPP owner in the next 10 days and freaking thrilled about it.

Matt Uhry
    www.mattuhry.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Fair, well-balanced and well-written.
    Thanks for the tests and results def interesting and invaluable. I do have one question for David Mullen (which I'm surprised nobody asked) how do these lenses compare to the Primos?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lovett View Post

Given the lack of a shorter prime, I'd been leaning heavily toward the short Optimo Rouge zoom anyway. (I talked to Able this week) but would like feedback on the viability of mixing RPP's and the Rouge's as a matter of course.

Any opinion about the warm color cast being something that could be easily managed in a primary correction on set (think keeping a client / director happy) or in post would be greatly valued. Or are the differences sufficient that they are going to require some significant work?

BTW I'm one of those odd balls that actually like zooms, and chose the primes due to image quality, and speed, as well as the aforementioned cost factor. I don't have a deep seeded need to own a set of primes I just want a set of tools that cover a sufficient focal range.

Stephen
    Hi Stephen -

I thought the Wide Optimo Rouge was a Superstar amongst the other excellent lenses. There is a bit of barrel distortion at the wide end and it's a 2.8 and the red rubber grip is ugly - otherwise it's pretty much undeniable.

Matt Uhry
    www.mattuhry.com