Thread: 10,000 RPM drives worthwhile for Red Alert?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 10,000 RPM drives worthwhile for Red Alert? 
    Hello
    I am trying to spec a system for grading selects and exporting with Red Alert. I will be using a dual quad core 2.66 Mac Pro, and only working with 2k material [for now], exporting it in Avid DNXHD 185X codec. I have heard that real-time playback of rushes in RA can be a problem, at least with 4K files. So would there be any benefit in choosing [smaller] 10,000 rpm drives instead of [larger] 7200 ones?
    Would this enable real-time playback of 2K? Or would I get that anyway with cheaper drives?
    Thanks for any advice.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but from what I can tell, RAID 5 is the way to go. Very secure, very fast, very expensive. My guess is that this will get you the 2k real time playback you need, and maybe even for 4k, but not sure. Also pumping up your video card and RAM will probably help.

If anyone can recommend certain types of RAID drives, that would be cool. What are the most trusted manufacturers?

If anyone wishes to dispute me, I will take you down! Just kidding, I am still learning, I'd love to be told if I'm doing something wrong.

Hope I could help, Nigel.
    -Picot

See maxx digital, a sponsor of this forum. Very cost effective raids for mac, that are unbelieveably fast.

Playback of R3D footage is virtually always CPU-limited, not I/O limited. Even the highest data rate the camera records at, 36 MB/s, is no real challenge for a bog-standard cheap consumer 7200 RPM 3.5" drive hooked up via SATA or FW800. So faster storage is unlikely to do anything useful for you with respect to real-time playback of native files.

And 10K RPM drives aren't really the best choice for cost-effective sequential I/O anyway. You're much better off striping 7200 RPM drives.
    DI Workflow, Nice Dissolve. You should follow me on Twitter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kenny View Post
    Playback of R3D footage is virtually always CPU-limited, not I/O limited. Even the highest data rate the camera records at, 36 MB/s, is no real challenge for a bog-standard cheap consumer 7200 RPM 3.5" drive hooked up via SATA or FW800. So faster storage is unlikely to do anything useful for you with respect to real-time playback of native files.

And 10K RPM drives aren't really the best choice for cost-effective sequential I/O anyway. You're much better off striping 7200 RPM drives.
    Thanks Chris - spot on advice.
    BTW any idea if a dual quadcore Mac Pro will handle 2K playback?