Thread: Addonics RAID

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Addonics RAID 
    First post here. so I hope I have dropped it in a reasonable spot.

Since retiring as a Unix Sys Admin a few years ago, I have picked up a few "clients" (okay, non paying fellow retires) who are seriously "in to" digital photography/videography (no RED ... yet !). One client just returned from a month long under water photography expedition with over 10,000 raw images ! Of course I am concerned about storage of their images and what I want is "cheap, fast and good" !

I am looking for real world feed back of Addonics Mini Tower with the 4x1 eSATA/USB Hardware Port Multiplier (AD4SR5HPMU-E).

Can't comment on that particular addonics unit. But it's a pretty basic RAID unit. For long-term storage of 10,000 images, I would probably just do multiple copies onto optical media and a hard drive or two. Good FLASH media will last a long, long time. So it can be very cost-effective and reliable to leave all the camera media as-shot, as a primary backup.

As with any form of data archive, it should be checked occasionally and cycled or updated periodically. Nothing lasts forever and nothing is infallible.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.