Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: a word of CAUTION with REDundead

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes... Just one more data write. Just more wear on the drive.

I'm thinking of requesting that my rental clients NOT ZERO THE MEDIA, especially the RED-RAM and CF cards, which have a finite number of write cycles. And then I just handle testing and zeroing of the drive before it goes out on rental again.

I think most rental customers will prefer it this way. It takes a significant amount of time to erase a drive. Took me over 4 hours to zero the RED-RAM today in my testing with it connected to FW800.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Yes... Just one more data write. Just more wear on the drive.

I'm thinking of requesting that my rental clients NOT ZERO THE MEDIA, especially the RED-RAM and CF cards, which have a finite number of write cycles. And then I just handle testing and zeroing of the drive before it goes out on rental again.

I think most rental customers will prefer it this way. It takes a significant amount of time to erase a drive. Took me over 4 hours to zero the RED-RAM today in my testing with it connected to FW800.
    The times issue is what I thought of primarily. What if you have several drives, CF cards etc.? Its gonna take forever to erase.

I'll just point my camera at the TV and shoot reruns of Fantasy Island to erase the drive.

No one in their right mind would want to pirate it so it should be a good way to zero out the drive!

Quote Originally Posted by jimhare View Post
    I'll just point my camera at the TV and shoot reruns of Fantasy Island to erase the drive.

No one in their right mind would want to pirate it so it should be a good way to zero out the drive!
    Haha Good Idea =)

5. #15 mean greenies 
    Not to shift away from the topic, but....has anyone tried this app on corrupted or green framed "failed checksum" cards? I am interested to see if this could be used to aid in recovery of these.

Thanks,

D

Quote Originally Posted by jimhare View Post

Yes, just at the end of a shoot day, just formate drive->shoot a long black scene then format drive again. The black scene do not need to fill entire drive, just about the same time as your media did. This is not a 100% secure, but alot better then just a format.
    JJ

if anything, we're most excited about the fact that now we have a great tool to refer our clients to when they have "unrecoverable" footage on their RED media. Doesn't happen often (since the cameras are solid), but for those rare occasions when hearts are pounding and a DIT's job is on the line, it will be a great addition to their arsenal of tools available to save the day.

But most of us in the rental industry will definitely need to reconsider our terms and conditions as far as our accountability for footage being misused is concerned, especially after we've done due diligence in formatting, etc.

Hopefully this will continue to be a nonissue, despite REDundead's introduction (be kind, don't attempt recovering people's personal footage for your own gain)
    Brad Wilson
    Vice President, Business Development
    Keslow Camera
    5900 Blackwelder Street
    Culver City CA 90232
    +1-310-636-4600 office
    wwwfacebookinstagram

8.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradwilson View Post
    But most of us in the rental industry will definitely need to reconsider our terms and conditions as far as our accountability for footage being misused is concerned, especially after we've done due diligence in formatting, etc.
    REDundead made it more apparent but this has been the case with any reusable media as other recovery programs could do the same. Same thing goes when you send a hard disk to someone else. If you had stuff you deleted, they can get alot of it back with common recovery software.

Quote Originally Posted by JanneJansson View Post
    Yes, just at the end of a shoot day, just formate drive->shoot a long black scene then format drive again. The black scene do not need to fill entire drive, just about the same time as your media did. This is not a 100% secure, but alot better then just a format.
    This really just needs to be done at the end of the shoot. I'd recommend that productions do the wiping because at the end of the day it's their footage they want to protect.

Side efffect... Formatting a drive is also a good way to hide footage if you're in stealth mode :)