Thanks Tom

keep going
    Raphael Varandas
    DCINE Cinematografia Digital
    www.dcine.tv
    www.vimeo.com/dcine
    www.facebook.com/Dcine.Digital.Cinema

Dragons at your reach @dcine.tv
    A special place to find Dragons, Glass, Post solutions on Set and good coffee ;)

atendimento@dcine.tv
    raphael@dcine.tv

SAO PAULO - BRASIL +5511.55498419 Office/+5511.972641757 mobile

Tom,

it's amazing what you are doing.

But from my point of view even use of Panavision anamorphics can't "save" a sort of dignity about 5DMK2 as a motion picture camera.

Simply, it's not about Canon, 5Dmk2,... it's about compression involved and artifacts that have and even use of best lenses can't keep

things going on towards a Panavision quality widescreen picture... just for example Canon's 5Dmk2 "HD video" doesn't have Todd-AO camera quality picture at the end.

Anyway it could be interesting experiment and of course I'll wish you the best.

Hope I didn't upset you with my opinion.
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Heh heh, this is the result of the fact that I never went to film school. A lot of times people have to explain really basic stuff to me.... The guy at Panavision was giving me a quick lesson on why longer focal length anamorphics cover a much larger area of a FF35 sensor.
    Trust me - they don't normally teach that stuff at film school - at least that's not the impression I would have from all the film school students I have ever dealt with!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjin Jukic View Post
    Tom,

it's amazing what you are doing.

But from my point of view even use of Panavision anamorphics can't "save" a sort of dignity about 5DMK2 as a motion picture camera.

Simply, it's not about Canon, 5Dmk2,... it's about compression involved and artifacts that have and even use of best lenses can't keep

things going in a Panavision quality widescreen direction... just for example Canon 5Dmk2 doesn't have Todd-AO camera quality picture at the end.

Anyway it could be interesting experiment and of course I'll wish you the best.

Hope I didn't upset you with my opinion.
    Uh, Sanjin, he's using it for Timelapse, not motion, so I'm pretty sure it will be shooting RAW - as it's intended use would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parkes View Post
    Uh, Sanjin, he's using it for Timelapse, not motion, so I'm pretty sure it will be shooting RAW - as it's intended use would be.
    Correct.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think using these anamorphics on the 5D2 in video mode would be worthless if you are trying to finish at 1080p.

Shooting full 21mp RAW stills on the Canon with Panavision anamorphics results in timelapse frames roughly 7700 x 3700! Obviously, there is plenty of room for downsampling to 4K!

Cool stuff as usual Tom; any chance of us getting a peek at the final product once its shot?

And believe me, that kinda stuff isn't taught at the majority of film schools. Maybe the ones with advanced cinematography though.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parkes View Post
    Craig,

sorry but I forgot it.

I thought that he is going to do the same like this example below but with anamorphics:

Panavision lens on Canon EOS camera...

LINK>>>

Also could be that Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III is even better choice for that sort of "Baraka" movie timelapse style...

But maybe I am totally wrong again...

So let us have a look at the final result.
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Correct.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think using these anamorphics on the 5D2 in video mode would be worthless if you are trying to finish at 1080p.

Shooting full 21mp RAW stills on the Canon with Panavision anamorphics results in timelapse frames roughly 7700 x 3700! Obviously, there is plenty of room for downsampling to 4K!
    I don't know if you're right about the resolution, since the 5d only captures a picture a little less than 6k wide you can't get more resolution in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Elkington View Post
    I don't know if you're right about the resolution, since the 5d only captures a picture a little less than 6k wide you can't get more resolution in there.
    So how do you measure it? The image area the 5D2 captures with the Primo 50mm is roughly 4K x 4K - not quite but nearly square. So do you expand horizontally to 8K x 4K? Or reduce vertically to 4K wide x 2K tall and just gain all the extra detail?

I guess you could just figure out what your final post width will be -- 4K or 2K or whatever -- resize it to that width, then squeeze it vertically to fit?

If you are just shooting day exterior time-lapse, is there much reason to use anamorphic lenses versus just cropping your 12MP images to 2.40? Are you really going to see a lot of anamorphic lens artifacts to make it necessary to use the same lenses as the main production, which I assume is shooting on film anyway?
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com