Thread: Panavision Anamorphics on the 5D2

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Panavision Anamorphics on the 5D2 
    I had a chance to try some Panavision anamorphics on my 5D2 today. I'm prepping for some 2nd unit work shooting digital timelapse that is supposed to match 1st unit's 35mm film anamorphic. I was surprised to discover that the 50mm Primo fits and works well using one of the Panavision>EOS adapters that was custom built recently at the Hollywood location.

The 50mm Primo T2 covers about 80% of the sensor, resulting in a nearly square "4K" image, meaning that it's roughly 4K wide. But once you unsqueeze the image at 2:1, you are left with something like 3K by 6K! This should be a lot of fun!

Sample shot:

If anyone is interested I will try to get some more pics and info as the shoot progresses.

So its 50mm and up that cover? I have a friend that has two PV/EOS adapters and I was thinking the same thing. Cant wait to see your anamorphic timelapses!

Whoa whoa whoa

I thought you couldn't get these on the camera without having to modify the body? Or you can get a Panavision mount no issue, but PL won't work?

Fill me in.

I'm okay with a 50 and up coverage m'self. But would be fine with even less for Music Videos and Short Filmms.

Divulge

Berserk wasn't good man sorry

Panavision has a longer FFD than PL mount lenses which allows them to work on EOS mount bodies. They already have made adapters for PV mount lenses on EOS cameras too.

The 35mm Primo fit but the amount of the 35mm sensor that it covered was much smaller than what the 50mm covers, so I figured the 50mm Primo would be best.

You have to figure that a 50mm on a FF35 = 35mm on a motion 35mm camera. Then once you add in the anamorphic factor (with some side cropping), the 50mm Primo is actually the equivalent of roughly a 20mm lens on a standard 35mm cinema camera! 50mm sure doesn't sound wide, but it is! The fun part of this shoot is that we will have a number of anamorphic lenses, going up to 180mm I think.

Some of the wider E and C series anamorphics did not fit, because they bump into the plastic well behind the lens ring.

Keep in mind that IMO, this is really only useful for timelapse, shooting 21mp stills full frame. Once you get into video mode 1080p, it would be kind of pointless to use anamorphics, because the sensor area is cropped (smaller) and you would actually lose resolution from 1080p I think. But once DSMC FF35 comes out, it will be open seasons with these anamorphics!!

Banned
    Wow Tom! That's awesome man!! Looks so front heavy!

The goddamn thing weighs 20 pounds! The 5D2 seems like a rear lens cap on it! :)

Very nice.
    Charles Angus Taylor
    www.charlesangustaylor.com

Looks like there was an intense discussion around the white board in the background before the picture was taken...

Quote Originally Posted by Brook Willard View Post
    Looks like there was an intense discussion around the white board in the background before the picture was taken...
    Heh heh, this is the result of the fact that I never went to film school. A lot of times people have to explain really basic stuff to me.... The guy at Panavision was giving me a quick lesson on why longer focal length anamorphics cover a much larger area of a FF35 sensor.