Thread: Red One Canon 5D Video Test

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Jacob View Post
    LOL because it is a threat, maybe not now but the next gen and the one after that, and because it IS 1/10th of the cost. "Hey some jackass on the interwebs thinks his $2700 toy can hang with my RED ONE? Who the fuck does he think he is?! Ima professional gol-dangit!!!!!"
    :head_explode:
    Exactly.

Thanks again for the tests sir.
    Matt Gottshalk
    http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com
    https://vimeo.com/86056260
    EPIC-X "Decker"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Wilson View Post
    That is horrible. Can you fix it? I guess that is the power of a RAW workflow. If you screw something up even a little bit with the Canon you are pretty much screwed it looks like.

Did you shoot the RED in 24p? its surprising how much more filmic the RED looks than the Canon, if that makes any sense at all. Maybe that is what Phis is talking about.
    and that my friend is the power of RAW.
    Obin Olson
    Director - Editor - DP - UNKNONWN CALLER - 2014
    http://vimeo.com/78124989
    www.the-forgery.com
    www.fatalflawmovie.com
    www.mobijokes.tv
    'These Red Guys - like nothing I have ever seen!'
    Assimilate Scratch, it's like working in the future, right now. ( no they did not pay me to say that)

Banned
    I will be putting up another comparison video within the week pitting up the Canon 5D + Nikon Glass & the Red One + K-35 Primes. Did a job this weekend with my K-35 set and the quality is amazing. The 5D could never achieve what I'm seeing here but I'd still like to see a side by side, if not for me, then for my clients. Going to try to make this test more controlled too. Lit subject, etc.

I just shot a fashion video on the 5DmkII. I chose it in part to experiment, n part because my Red is on a feature and in part because I was shooting all night exteriors in available light.

It's kind of great having such a light weight camera.. but one big problem is that the viewfinder is closed in video mode, so unless you have an elaborate rig you need to use the LCD to operate, very awkward.

The image quality in video mode, simply doesn't compare to Red. You don't need to see a comparison. Red is light years ahead in terms of the final image that you get... except one thing: The lowlight capability of the 5D is kind of amazing.

At the end of the day the 5D is a great still camera, and the video feature is a fun thing and very useful. But it made me really want the DSMC more than anything else. I want to shoot compressed RAW on a camera that feels like a DSLR, that's an exciting prospect.

IBloom

Quote Originally Posted by I Bloom View Post
    I just shot a fashion video on the 5DmkII. I chose it in part to experiment, n part because my Red is on a feature and in part because I was shooting all night exteriors in available light.

It's kind of great having such a light weight camera.. but one big problem is that the viewfinder is closed in video mode, so unless you have an elaborate rig you need to use the LCD to operate, very awkward.

The image quality in video mode, simply doesn't compare to Red. You don't need to see a comparison. Red is light years ahead in terms of the final image that you get... except one thing: The lowlight capability of the 5D is kind of amazing.

At the end of the day the 5D is a great still camera, and the video feature is a fun thing and very useful. But it made me really want the DSMC more than anything else. I want to shoot compressed RAW on a camera that feels like a DSLR, that's an exciting prospect.

IBloom
    Got to shoot in Japan with Red DSMC.

Ok, so the 5DII isn't as good as the Red One. Would you expect it to be? I wouldn't.
    The Red was designed from the ground up as a kick-ass cine camera and it is.
    The 5DII was designed as a mid-high enthusiast DSLR with live-view, and is damn good at that, then the video was added as an after-thought as a by-product of the live-view system, hence the 30 fps frame-rate. That it's even as good as it is is pure serendipity.
    So where now? fortunately my finances pretty much dictate waiting, so I'll see what transpires, I may end up with a 5DII (Or its successor) as my walk-about do-it-all cam and a 2/3" Scarlet for more serious cine (FF35 Scarlet is out of my budget)
    But remember, Canon make their own sensors in their own plant, heck they even melt their own glass, so they could pull off something amazing (Anyone remember when the 300 f/2.8 Fluorite hit the news?), whether they will or not is up to them.
    Dave

cross-examiner
    Richard,

Did you use FCP or Adobe Premiere?

Someone posted this:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.p...1&postcount=39

E. :-)
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

Banned
    I used FCP 6

cross-examiner
    Richard,

Take a glance @ dvxuser:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...40#post1670540

'cause there that's going wild.

E. :-)

EDIT -- Not better @ 5D Mark II forums (the rumors are like a plague):

http://cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3381#p22989

Thanks for your tests in any way whatsoever. We're still waiting for your most recent findings. Didn't you have more stuff?
    Last edited by Emanuel A.; 06-22-2009 at 04:47 AM.
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **