Thread: Anybody using ShotPut Pro???

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Anybody using ShotPut Pro??? 
    Hello Guys,

Anybody using ShotPut Pro??? Pros/Cons???

Thanks in advance,
    Prio
    fielddominance.com
    commercials | music videos | branded content
    tel- 305-308-8661 email-prio[at]fddom.com Skype- fielddominance Follow me on Twitter

yes, it checksums your data, and gives a report, downside it's slower to do the transfers by about 1.5x depending on the speed of the connection and mac.

most of the time this isn't a problem, but you do get times where it is too slow and you have to just transfer it.

Tom, are you using it regularly??? do you endorse it???

What I like is the ability to transfer to multiple drives (3) in the same procedure. Right now I have a 17" MAcbook w/ dual Lacie bus powered 1terr. drives in a pelican and manually do all the backing up and "check summing". The second backup rarely gets done for obvious reasons. So, I am considering it but would like some real world confirmations of it's operation???
    fielddominance.com
    tel- 305-308-8661 email-prio[at]fddom.com Skype- fielddominance Follow me on Twitter

Banned
    I posted a page comparing ShotPut and other copy/checksum applications vs. R3D Data Manager here:

http://www.r3ddata.com/compare/

As far as I am aware, ShotPut doesnt do true checksums to compare files. It uses a read-back method. That requires access to the original to compare the files. With R3D Data Manager, the checksums are saved with the footage, so you can re-check the files at any time, even years after the camera originals are gone.

Hello Conrad,

Does your package Auto download??? I.E.- insert a CF/Red Drive and the backup auto starts without prompts???

Thanks,
    Prio
    fielddominance.com

Banned
    The current version does not, but the upcoming release will detect when a new Red Media is attached and start the copy process without a single click.

Hello Conrad, Thanks for the response!!

Auto copy is huge!!! In the heat of the moment an auto mode is great!!! No thinking needed. Set it up at the begining of the gig and just insert/connect and go!!! Confirmation of a successful copy and your good.

Cheers,
    Prio
    fielddominance.com

Banned
    Combine that with the software sending you an email/text/sms on completion with the copy result, it really becomes easy for those one-man-bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Prio View Post
    Tom, are you using it regularly??? do you endorse it???

What I like is the ability to transfer to multiple drives (3) in the same procedure. Right now I have a 17" MAcbook w/ dual Lacie bus powered 1terr. drives in a pelican and manually do all the backing up and "check summing". The second backup rarely gets done for obvious reasons. So, I am considering it but would like some real world confirmations of it's operation???
    yes it dose but I did get my hands on r3d data manager this week end and, though I havnt put it through load tests etc, it seems to be a great soloution, but untill I realy get to test it, I can't say weather it's the best solution, but it looks like it's realy good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mitchell View Post
    yes, it checksums your data, and gives a report, downside it's slower to do the transfers by about 1.5x depending on the speed of the connection and mac.

most of the time this isn't a problem, but you do get times where it is too slow and you have to just transfer it.
    Is this just when it's copying to multiple locations or for every transfer? The website claims it's faster than finder!?!?!