Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: I own a GH-1 and MKii and this is how RED can truly seal the deal

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 I own a GH-1 and MKii and this is how RED can truly seal the deal 
    2k24p
    1080p60p
    RAW to CF Cards
    Small batteries
    RED Proprietary mount w/choices to purchase PL, Nikon, Canon, etc
    S35 Sized ssensor OR, if you feel the need to crush the competition, Full Frame sensor with S35 frame guides.

I'll pay 3 to 3.5k for that camera body happily.

Optional Accessories:

Audio Module
    Whatever you want

The rest is trivial to me and this would end the stop-gap swiftly. The other guys can have 8,000K and all that good stuff.

After shooting serious work with both the GH-1 and my new MKii I can see more people jumping on an MKii or GH-1 and totally forgetting about Scarlet until they can afford it. And when they can afford it, they'll probably just rent someone elses.

Put this camera out now and it'll kill the options.

Just my thoughts.

Great post Kholi. You nailed all the points. The landscape has changed so much even since the last Scarlet update.

I have faith in RED that they're truly steps ahead of the competition... and I hope that their manufacturing status is ahead of where we think it is.

GH1 is interesting due to its features. EVF, manual exposure, autofocus. I like the 4/3 format too.
    But I will wait for a 2/3" Scarlet over either of these.
    I personally don't much care about ultra shallow DOF and 2/3" is capable of very nice 16mm like DOF flexibility. Based on the few sample shots from the lab prototype posted here, as well as footage from RED 1, 2k and 1080p scaled from 3k raw will be of much better quality than either of the still cams can produce and you can get it at any speed you want from time lapse rates to 120fps continuous. Worth the wait for me.

jello and h264 are two drawbacks you didn't mention
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

GH1 isn't too bad for jello. Definitely looking forward to raw acquisition over HDV or AVC(h.264).

After scarlet ships I can't see anyone considering h264 or AVCHD as acquisition formats for any serious motion work. GH1 and 5DM2 will valuable as still only and Canon and Pana will most likely be dropping new cams to compete.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    jello and h264 are two drawbacks you didn't mention
    Jello on GH-1 is damned near close to RED. Spoken from experience.

H.264 can be converted for editing, so no big deal there either. It's not really going to make or break any project that's worth salt anyway.

Kenn - That's my thought as well.

David -- Just trying to put out a thought, but not saying this is how it should be. I totally think 2/3" sensor is fine. Would prefer an S35 as it's not too shallow and pretty much what we're all accustomedtoo anyway. If Full Frame is a must then I'll take Academy Guides.

I think one of the key battle grounds is going to be price point.
    Remember RED dropped their prices unexpectedly back Nov 13, or was it Dec 3?
    (I always get those two big announcements mixed up)
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    2k24p
    1080p60p
    RAW to CF Cards
    Small batteries
    RED Proprietary mount w/choices to purchase PL, Nikon, Canon, etc
    S35 Sized ssensor OR, if you feel the need to crush the competition, Full Frame sensor with S35 frame guides.
    s35 or full frame sensor? Seriously? Let's not forget that most professional cameras between $15, 000 and $150, 000 have 2/3" sensors, so just $7000 for a s35 camera that can shoot video at up to 72fps (without skipping lines or any of those ugly hacks the SLR video modes use) is dirt cheap...

As for those (including me) who don't have the cash for a s35mm version, the video quality, resolution and frame rates the 2/3" can do will absolutely smash the competition anyway, and if 2/3" at 1080p is enough for George Lucas to shoot Attack of the Clones (budget $115 Million), then I'm totally ecstatic about 2/3" 3K at up to 120fps...

Just out of curiosity, I need a new SLR. How is the GH-1 as a still camera?

IBloom